Can someone identify these weird white blobs ?

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2021
Messages
70
Reaction score
26
Location
United Kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all of a sudden noticed a large amount of white critters on my rock where there’s algae and on my glass when the lights have gone out.

I’ve dossed copepods before however they never looked like this ...

Any ideas many thanks.

please see images below tried to get best images in microscope as possible

C264A339-3927-4EE5-ABB8-DA3E7A5BB8A5.jpeg A1D24A6F-B366-42AD-A88A-E450926FD8D8.jpeg 549A8E03-8024-4175-B7C6-6229F193584B.jpeg 6162A480-087E-43FB-9C60-7E1B57A9F3CF.jpeg B1A5BCB0-A532-4BA1-A81C-3AC0B2095AAB.jpeg
 
I have all of a sudden noticed a large amount of white critters on my rock where there’s algae and on my glass when the lights have gone out.

I’ve dossed copepods before however they never looked like this ...

Any ideas many thanks.

please see images below tried to get best images in microscope as possible

C264A339-3927-4EE5-ABB8-DA3E7A5BB8A5.jpeg A1D24A6F-B366-42AD-A88A-E450926FD8D8.jpeg 549A8E03-8024-4175-B7C6-6229F193584B.jpeg 6162A480-087E-43FB-9C60-7E1B57A9F3CF.jpeg B1A5BCB0-A532-4BA1-A81C-3AC0B2095AAB.jpeg
These are ostracods
 
thank you for the ID are they good in the tank ??
While they can be a food source for certain fish, they do feed on microorganisms and organic debris and regarded as filter feeders BUT do know that some species may predators to smaller inverts
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new