cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
879A6643-D945-4A24-9478-0566DAB2A3B7.jpeg

I moved them up closer to the surface and cranked them up to 70%. I also increased my return pump flow. I’m seeing better movement in the areas where I wanted it, and the frags I was concerned about aren’t getting blasted anymore. Thanks everyone! I may still add an MP10 to the back wall or close to the bottom right side in order to increase flow at the bottom of the tank even further, but so far so good.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, great start! 2nd, you're BB, freaking flow it up! IMHO, you will need more flow as time goes on. I would recommend positioning the right mp40 further to back, and a touch lower. In this case, focus on keeping detritus in suspension, and the random flow will be enjoyable for all sps.

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not direct flow it shouldn't be an issue, random flow is key

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, great start! 2nd, you're BB, freaking flow it up! IMHO, you will need more flow as time goes on. I would recommend positioning the right mp40 further to back, and a touch lower. In this case, focus on keeping detritus in suspension, and the random flow will be enjoyable for all sps.
Thanks! Yeah, I’ve decided to add an MP10 in the location you suggested, in order to reduce any dead spots behind the rock work. Just from the changes I made today, it kicked up a ton of detritus into the water column. Hopefully, it’ll clear soon. I appreciate the advice!

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if you’ve seen the hygger wavemaker but it’s super strong, creates random customizable flow, and is so cheap (AND CRAZY SMALL). Also to answer your question about sps, I feel with the ones I’ve had, if their polyps are out and about and they seem to be thriving or growing leave them be. If they’re looking like they’re going to be knocked over or if they’re concerned, maybe move them to a moderate flow area and watch their polyps/color/growth over a couple weeks. Ive found that it’s easier to add than take away in this hobby. :)

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, I’ve decided to add an MP10 in the location you suggested, in order to reduce any dead spots behind the rock work. Just from the changes I made today, it kicked up a ton of detritus into the water column. Hopefully, it’ll clear soon. I appreciate the advice!

Remember, detritus is 1st offered as food, the rest goes to the sump. Keeping little settling points is key. Your efforts to keep detritus in suspension will ultimately provide ample flow for your corals. In the day, I date myself, lol, we put power heads under rocks to keep constant flow on the bottom of the tank :)

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your question about too much, you definitely can but it’s more about too much direct flow. I have two MP40s on my 24 inch cube and while I don’t get tissue peeling, I do get some branches that grow into weird shapes or create cups or plates. So keep that in mind as well!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine bud... my tank is 6 foot long. I have 4 mp40's and two gyres 350....they run on different modes mostly from 70-100%. No issues as long as its random and not pointed directly to them you should be fine.

1605063090437.png

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at EcoTech’s flow calculator, and for my tank (4’ long) it seems to recommend two MP10s for SPS, but I have two MP40s running at 40%. I still have fairly low flow at the bottom of the tank and was considering turning it up, but I don’t want to overdo it. One of my frags in particular is well in the path of flow and the polyps appear to get blasted at times.

(you can see the polyps really go around the top, and also on the right side’s new growth)

Obviously, I don’t want to put corals right in front of the VorTechs, but is there a point where there’s just too much flow? Is there something I should look for as a sign of when to back off?

This looks just enough flow for sps. Won't go any less. Can handle a lot more.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4' 120 has 2 tunze 6095's on the back wall and 2 6105's, one on each side.
The 6095's alternate on/off every 10 seconds.
The 6105's are always on.
All pumps run 100%.
Im getting around 9000 gph inside the tank at all times.
Return is only2-300 gph.
Plenty of flow and movement and my tank is BB.
20201016_190535.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a lot of indirect flow. I feel like you can definitely have too much flow if you're blasting the corals head on. They will start growing in funky directions. I prefer my corals to grow how they would in the wild. When I see corals bent out of shape in a reef tank it looks unnatural and to me they look weird and I avoid it. Make sure the flow is changing direction and not constantly blasting the coral from one side.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is more of an art than a science..so there are no hard rules. But you run a bare bottom tank with a not very bulky aquascape so you might end up needing less wavemakers.
In my 75 mixed reef tank I have bb and bigger colonies. I run 3 Jebao RW 8 and Aquamai KPM and I still have dead spots but it is justified as I place lps in low flow areas.
They say that a healthy sps flow means you should see polyps swaying back and forth MOST OF THE TIME.
On a personal note I like several wavemakers and using pulsing modes (not linear flow) a lot as opposed to using 2 very powerful wavemakers. Just my 0.02.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mode(s) are you running your MP40s? I run mine in "Reef Crest" about 80% of the time at just shy of 80% flow and have no issues w/too much flow.

Reef crest 100% during the day and 60% overnight. There is also a MP60 on that end, but the flow wasn’t directly at the Red Robin.

Not too much flow for the tank but that coral grew directly into the flow of the MP40.

I have 2 MP60’s and 4 MP40’s in my 210 gallon display.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while on the subject... i have a long tank.. 8 foot and have always had my power heads, gyres ect on the side ways going side to side.. Can any one comment on how their tank changed when they added some to the back wall and do you guys run those differently on the back wall. ?? At what flow.. ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back