Can this light grow coral.

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 5 gallon frag tank for corals. I have this light and want to know if it is acceptable for corals. I haven’t set it up yet by the way.

C761D4A7-A523-4F5A-91EF-6D160A6DE6EB.png

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is probably the Nicrew you want

That's definitely better than the first one but still gotta know what kind of frags... definitely not an expert but from my experience a 30 watt isn't what you want if you're trying to grow out SPS

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The light you are looking at is designed for planted aquariums. It will most likely cause you more issues than you want. We would recommend looking in to a light that is designed for a reef tank. Some more economical options include AI Primes or Kessil A80s. They are definitely more than the Amazon lights, but lighting and flow is not something I would skimp out on to much. In the long run you will just end up having to upgrade lights to something that will really grow your corals. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. We are always happy to help.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ll get different lights then. I was just trying to see if I could use what I have on hand. The tank is more of a quarantine/frag tank. Mainly because I’m now very cautious about what I track into my tank and as far as corals probably softies, lps, and sps.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a five gallon tank the nicrew 30 would most likely be fine
You might wanna double check for the SPS with someone who knows their stuff on here...I'd just hate for you to buy it and then have to buy another more expensive light if it isn't powerful enough for SPS

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ll get different lights then. I was just trying to see if I could use what I have on hand. The tank is more of a quarantine/frag tank. Mainly because I’m now very cautious about what I track into my tank and as far as corals probably softies, lps, and sps.
Those nicrew 30w lights for $70 will absolutely grow most corals. Please don't waste your money on a AI Prime or a Kessil for just a quarantine / frag tank. After my 3rd AI Prime went down I switched to the nicrew 30 watt on my small 16g quarantine / frag tank and could not tell a difference in coral growth. Mainly simple sps like birdsnest / pocilopora and easly lps and zoas.

It's more about water quality and flow than which light you use.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might wanna double check for the SPS with someone who knows their stuff on here...I'd just hate for you to buy it and then have to buy another more expensive light if it isn't powerful enough for SPS
16 years in 10 of which on leds 6x wattage to gallons of tank is more than my tank has with 6 noopsyche on it.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering it's only 9 watts i wouldn't expect much. For a tank that small I would go with that 30 or 50 watt nicrew light so you have some leway if you want any SPS.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grow SPS fine with a 30w nicecrew on a 5g tank. A 5g tank can only be so deep.

You could even put a $30 reef par bulb over it.

Back