Can tuxedo urchin knock snails off

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So, a few weeks back I got a tuxedo urchin, from all of my research I found people saying they are reef safe and can coexist with other inverts. But since I have had the urchin in the tank I am seeming to be constantly rescuing my trochus snails that are upside down on the sand bed.
I bought the urchin to help with coralline algae because I was looking for a way to control it without constantly putting my arm in the tank but If the urchin is going to affect the rest of the cleanup crew I will have to give him away.
Is it possible it's the urchin or could it be something else in the tank. The urchin is the only recent addition to the tank.
Tank is a 30g mixed reef and all of my perameters are stable. The urchin is the only thing to have changed in the last few months. Any help or advice would be great thanks.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trochus snails should for the most part be under the substrate, I doubt the urchin is doing it.
Under the sand bed? I've never seen a trochus under the sand, they are always on the glass/rocks that's why I have nassarius snails to clean my sendbed? Or have I been doing it wrong

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the sand bed? I've never seen a trochus under the sand, they are always on the glass/rocks that's why I have nassarius snails to clean my sendbed? Or have I been doing it wrong
Nope, my fault...I got the names mixed up...your right, lol sorry

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My urchin hits mine sometimes, but for the most, they don't fall off when they come together.
Yeah I think have worked out what is happening now. I have some large artificial coral plugs that are starting to crumble and I think when they have been crawling over them they have been crumpling and the snails have been falling and eding up stuck in my sand bed.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I believe trochus are supposed to be able to flip themselves over
In my experience with them they can flip themselfs if they are near something to help them grip onto, a rock of the glass ect. If they are completely upside down with just sand around them they struggle to flip

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my pincushion urchin peeling my big, 2 year old turbo off the glass to eat him.
I could not get them apart.
Urchins can b
20201118_165749.jpg
e ruthless hunters in addition to being great algae eaters

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back