Can urchins sting acros?

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This acro had a bleached tip the other day now I look and other tips are bleached. All I can think of is my long spine urchin tends to hang out in the corner by it and maybe the spines stung it? What else could it be? All other acros looks good

20181008_180313.jpg

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no the urchin did not sting the coral. That entire branch looks a little browner than the rest of the coral, if it continues to get worse I would clip the branch at the stalk and toss it minimizing the risk of loosing the entire colony. What are your parameters and can you tell more about your system?

OP
OP
Kmsutows

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can never seem to capture the colors with my phone but the branches are purple with green base. dKh=8.5 so I wouldn't think its burnt tips. I dont test other parameters religiously.

20181008_180303.jpg

20180908_184914.jpg

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking reef!
I am a fan of mixed reefs, they are tougher to master than SPS or LPS only systems IMHO. It is hard to tell what is going on with the tips by the picture though, is that an angel I see??
If so, they can be nippers....

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance the urchin actually got on to the coral? If not, I don't think the spines alone would cause that recession. Does look like something was munching on it though. Hard to tell. Could always be a small swing and that coral is just more susceptible then others..?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had a long spin urchin and have a mixed reef and the only issues I have had is them plowing things over and breaking corals when they move. They wouldn’t sting the corals like your asking, however with that said as close as these are, you may have other corals that have long sweepers stinging it.

OP
OP
Kmsutows

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking reef!
I am a fan of mixed reefs, they are tougher to master than SPS or LPS only systems IMHO. It is hard to tell what is going on with the tips by the picture though, is that an angel I see??
If so, they can be nippers....

Good point about the goldflake... he used to pick on some acros I'll have to watch him, thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back