Can we assume that all jawbreakers will eventually colour up?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been told that orange jawbreakers wouldn’t change colour and if I bought an orange one (candy crush) it would always stay orange. So last year I bought one small orange and recently I’ve seen the green developing (tye dye). Can I assume that during the next few years more colours may develop (purple, yellow)? And a bit like a good wine the older it gets the better it will be?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen and even bought what was sold as a candy crush but they are just very bright solid orange discosoma mushrooms.

I pulled the trigger and bought a true candy crush which should have at least green in it. Pics of both below.
1CEFF0F3-B4AF-4A6E-B05F-145B7E21DD77.jpeg
0B20F444-7043-479E-9374-7C7EB630A40F.jpeg

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post up a pic, it sounds like yours is a candy crush. To answer your question though I do believe if you have a good lineage you will get more colors with age. Below is my 2 year old jawbreaker and it continues to get more red and small green spots.
4A291943-C77C-4A9F-84E0-4BC8897EF85D.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful mushrooms, mine is only orange and a few small patches of green now, used to be orange only wend I first got it. Will try and get a pic wend am home.

Have I been looking at things differently, I always tough that candy crush was just orange, deadpool was orange base and purple patches, tye dye orange base with yellow, green, purple, green stripes and all the yellow base were electus.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people are now calling these very bright solid orange mushrooms candy crush but a year or so back a candy crush was orange and green.

Deadpool- red with blue spots

The dye jawbreaker- orange/yellow/red/green/purple

Jawbreaker- orange and red

Kryptonite- green and very dark purple

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people are now calling these very bright solid orange mushrooms candy crush but a year or so back a candy crush was orange and green.

Deadpool- red with blue spots

The dye jawbreaker- orange/yellow/red/green/purple

Jawbreaker- orange and red

Kryptonite- green and very dark purple

I think it makes perfect sense, is there a common name for wend only orange is showing? Also are you aware of the name for the orange base and white jawbreakers?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ones

338ACD7D-1304-439E-8FA8-E2CE1FAB33A1.jpeg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting post indeed. From my experience with shrooms alot of mis -classification happens with them. Originally Jawbreaker meant the pattern exhibited like the pie slice of a diff color, alot of diff coral comes in this style pattern , warpaint would be another example of a pattern , not the colors , but the pattern . Colors can be different between the patterns . Some discosoma are jawbreaker pattern with yellow and the red jawbreaker pie slice'(s) and possibly some green/purple in there also, but are fully colored up from the jump grow quickly split rapidly and stay smaller than 2" Then you have "Steel" mushrooms which come in all the colors patterns ect, and are discosoma also just a diff variety and they grow very slow and gain their color/pattern as they get older most people call these Eclectus shroom they can take years to develop and get massive. This is also why people charge like 300 for a "jawbreaker" and 1000 for and Eclectus with "jawbreaker color/pattern" I hope this helps clear up the OP's ?

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting post indeed. From my experience with shrooms alot of mis -classification happens with them. Originally Jawbreaker meant the pattern exhibited like the pie slice of a diff color, alot of diff coral comes in this style pattern , warpaint would be another example of a pattern , not the colors , but the pattern . Colors can be different between the patterns . Some discosoma are jawbreaker pattern with yellow and the red jawbreaker pie slice'(s) and possibly some green/purple in there also, but are fully colored up from the jump grow quickly split rapidly and stay smaller than 2" Then you have "Steel" mushrooms which come in all the colors patterns ect, and are discosoma also just a diff variety and they grow very slow and gain their color/pattern as they get older most people call these Eclectus shroom they can take years to develop and get massive. This is also why people charge like 300 for a "jawbreaker" and 1000 for and Eclectus with "jawbreaker color/pattern" I hope this helps clear up the OP's ?
I was under the impression jawbreakers developed the color over time started orangeish yellow and after about 6 months started developing red streaks and about a year or developing green streaks. And eclectus shrooms starts with all the colors just refines the color pattern over time.
Here’s 1 year old jawbreaker (top)a baby eclectus shroom (bottom)
F3A20C10-065F-46BA-8ED0-923D955819D6.jpeg
6CEDB6D2-08DA-41A9-A289-510BC359F71A.jpeg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda what I meant , maybe I should not have said from the jump , where as the eclectus are many years and get more and more crazy as they get older and mature vs the much quicker other pheno of the two that matter. I'd love to see these two in a year :)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression jawbreakers developed the color over time started orangeish yellow and after about 6 months started developing red streaks and about a year or developing green streaks. And eclectus shrooms starts with all the colors just refines the color pattern over time.

That first mushroom it’s going to be a stunner, i has the same thought as you, I’ve got an orange one that just started to develop green. Wend I researched about it it said that it may develop more colour or it may not, as they were collected in the wild I never seen the mother.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this.

Jawbreakers might give off babies fairly easy but they take a long time to develop color. They will grow in size at a decent rate but the colors are another story. The ones that start out with some color are ones where the mother is very old are very colorful. A baby from a fairly young and solid orange mother will take even longer to produce colors.

Eclectus shrooms get colors from the start but grow slow. I don’t know how long they take to make babies. I can tell you they seem to be very picky about water and lighting. I tried twice and bth times they melted on me.....

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is where my impression comes from , I dont cut mushrooms , always let them mature up then split or make babies , the color is insane that way . people who chop shop them and sell em uncolored , but still charge $$$$

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first mushroom it’s going to be a stunner, i has the same thought as you, I’ve got an orange one that just started to develop green. Wend I researched about it it said that it may develop more colour or it may not, as they were collected in the wild I never seen the mother.
That first one is not mine I have a friend with a rock covered in them that’s just one he was selling.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is where my impression comes from , I dont cut mushrooms , always let them mature up then split or make babies , the color is insane that way . people who chop shop them and sell em uncolored , but still charge $$$$

I think the bigger variable in dropping babies is related to flow and lighting. Anything that makes these shrooms move will almost always cause them to leave behind pieces of their foot.

I have yet to see my JB want to split. Its 2 years old and 2-2.5” across when fully extended. It’s dropped 8-10 babies on its own over that time. Half of those detached and I never saw them again in the tank. Here’s a pic of 1 I gave to a friend. It’s 6 months old and the red came in a lot sooner than mine did.
0DBC47EF-2EE9-43CA-A04D-7D391366A16A.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bigger variable in dropping babies is related to flow and lighting. Anything that makes these shrooms move will almost always cause them to leave behind pieces of their foot.

I have yet to see my JB want to split. Its 2 years old and 2-2.5” across when fully extended. It’s dropped 8-10 babies on its own over that time. Half of those detached and I never saw them again in the tank. Here’s a pic of 1 I gave to a friend. It’s 6 months old and the red came in a lot sooner than mine did.
0DBC47EF-2EE9-43CA-A04D-7D391366A16A.jpeg

The baby’s detaching and vanish seems to be a common thing with jawbreakers

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is some sort of jawbreaker also

57DF34AC-09B8-47A4-8338-260427CBB077.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back