Canister filter

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock which was removed from one of my other tanks has some coralline on it and you can see it’s a encrusting purple color. I haven’t had any luck with it spreading or growing in this tank and I attribute it to the tank being young.

9D15824E-35FE-4619-9A13-2D9D2015C69B.jpeg
this tank got its first nem split this morning, the baby is in that pic.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case you may just be best getting a HOB refugium to return the canister filter water to the tank.......that would be better than using a small inline pre filter......
Any recommendations on hob fuges? I'm in UK so no brs stuff would work

Also sorry I'm asking so many questions but would a small hob skimmer be beneficial to a nano tank, well I say nano it's 60cm cube but I can't actually remember how much it holds lol

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day I used to modify aqua clear 110 power filters into fuges and they worked very well. Google diy ac110 fuge
You won’t need a skimmer with a fuge unless you have tons of fish in there

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock which was removed from one of my other tanks has some coralline on it and you can see it’s a encrusting purple color. I haven’t had any luck with it spreading or growing in this tank and I attribute it to the tank being young.

9D15824E-35FE-4619-9A13-2D9D2015C69B.jpeg
this tank got its first nem split this morning, the baby is in that pic.
It kind of looks like that yes, maybe the intense light is helping.

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hob filter is not likely going to be big enough to be of any real benefit, best to get as big a fuge as you can.

There are a few hob refugiums on eBay at the moment ( I'm UK based too) or simply make one, there is not much to them!

As to the skimmer.......I don't personally use a skimmer on my current tank - solely because I don't want to strip out my copepods. But if you do get one and dial it in they can certainly help to keep on top of water quality.

It really depends on what you want to keep.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hob filter is not likely going to be big enough to be of any real benefit, best to get as big a fuge as you can.

There are a few hob refugiums on eBay at the moment ( I'm UK based too) or simply make one, there is not much to them!

As to the skimmer.......I don't personally use a skimmer on my current tank - solely because I don't want to strip out my copepods. But if you do get one and dial it in they can certainly help to keep on top of water quality.

It really depends on what you want to keep.
Yeah well current stock is 2 oce clowns, cleaner shrimp, pom Pom crab, few hermits. So very light

Got an order of loads of corals some snails an anemone and a six line wrasse coming Wednesday morning and I want to get a yellow watchman goby. So about 3-4 fish total to keep maintaining easy. If tank does OK I have my eye on a firefish but that would be max, I do want to over stock.

A small skimmer might be a good idea.

This is the hob filter I'm Planning on getting, looks decent size and ok flow rate for a refuge n only £20.

Screenshot_20200921-215515.png

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey also if no macro algae will grow for you that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, usually is an indication of pretty clear water, you may find you don’t even need a fuge, though if you ever want a mandarin it’s a great breeding ground for pods :)

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey also if no macro algae will grow for you that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, usually is an indication of pretty clear water, you may find you don’t even need a fuge, though if you ever want a mandarin it’s a great breeding ground for pods :)
I like them as it gives pods somewhere safe to breed with the benifits of having them, also for algae to grow so it doesn't grow in the main tank. Also think it looks pretty neat

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with the return via a pump is that pods can get chopped up via the impeller, also if the flow through it is too great, it won't really let the pods grow to large numbers as the nauplii will get flushed out. Just a few extra things to consider.......

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back