Canopy design, need insight.

Phatboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am finalizing the design for my canopy build. Its fairly complex as far as canopys go. As you will see Ive put alot of thought into this, but Im having a problem. Ill ask a question at the end. To start check out my design. To object of the design is to have easily adjustable light height so I can fine tune my lighting for the tank.
Here is the inner structure from the front.
skeleton.jpg

Here it is from the left rear.
skeletonrear.jpg

This is the front with the outside minus the front door
canopyfront.jpg

This is the front underneath, the red part will sit on the tanks edge
canopyunderbottom.jpg

This is a side cutaway to get some clarity for the rear section.
canopycutaway.jpg

This has the MH lights and a vent fan installed.
canopywithlightsandfan.jpg

My problem is I have two 48 inch T5 actinic lights to intall, and I cant see a way to incorporate them without blocking light from the MHs. Do you have any Ideas? To clarify the tank will only go to the back of the yellow stringers, the rest in the back will hang off the back of the tank for wiring and a vent tube.

joelq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design! You're right - you have put a lot of thought into this!

You really don't have many other options without changing reflectors to smaller ones. Depending on the bulbs you use, you may find that you don't need actinics. I know some folks, for example, that use the 14K Phoenix bulbs, and don't run T5s.

Question - what's the purpose of the blue fin in the back? It seems it is taking up fron-to-back space.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Can you run the t5s in front and behind the MH? maybe place them on a platform to get them even with the edge of the MH? Also, if you can figure it out, I would install two fans in the back, blowing toward the front across the down low to help move the warm air out. And I would vent the very top so the upper fan can blow air out the vent in the top.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notched out my large lumenarcs for the vhos to slide in and honestly I can't tell a difference in the light being blocked by the vhos I wouldn't sweat it... My tank looks great with the actinics on or off...

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just get Tension hangers? It's what I got and I can lower and raise my lights in literally seconds.

I used 4 of these on my 120 currently: Sunlight Supply Sun Lift (pair)

Seems like your design is overkill and can be solved in a much cheaper method.

J&O'sdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will need the bottom 3 adjustable sections. The way the drawing shows it if you put the lights that low they will be in the water. I have vhos with my DIY reflectors. I cut the reflectors down so I would have room to get the vhos in the canopy.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya know the more i look at it i see were your coming from but thats alot of work and a waiste of materials imo. you can just get some i hooks and mount them in the lid of the canopy and just hang the reflectors with jack chain its simple cheap and faster to adjust imo... something to think about anyways... it will save you time and money...;)

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being a carpenter , i really like the idea. being that you want to adjust the height of your lights , looking at the drawing you would have to pull the lights all the way out to change the height.light cords having to be long enough would be the only draw back imo. what is the blue space in the 5th drawing? is that a space to fan the air out? will it go outside or just into the surrounding room? also whats the dimension on the tank, and what kind of reflectors will you be using

Last edited:

BASA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem Ive been trying to work out and this is what I came up with. This is still a work in progress, the lamp is much lower than I want or it needs to be. Im gonna cut it down about 1 inch or to just above the corner brace. You can also put a back on it and you can use it as a storage area for little things. Hope it helps.

The picture of the one on the floor I will be installing in the back for anther VHO.

Attachments

• CIMG6359.jpg
    CIMG6359.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 109
  • CIMG6371.jpg
    CIMG6371.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
P

Phatboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design! You're right - you have put a lot of thought into this!

You really don't have many other options without changing reflectors to smaller ones. Depending on the bulbs you use, you may find that you don't need actinics. I know some folks, for example, that use the 14K Phoenix bulbs, and don't run T5s.

Question - what's the purpose of the blue fin in the back? It seems it is taking up fron-to-back space.
The blue fin is simply there to have something to screw the rear section of the light rails too. Its a brace that will be attaced to the back of the canopy.

Looks good. Can you run the t5s in front and behind the MH? maybe place them on a platform to get them even with the edge of the MH? Also, if you can figure it out, I would install two fans in the back, blowing toward the front across the down low to help move the warm air out. And I would vent the very top so the upper fan can blow air out the vent in the top.
Yes I can, by going with 15 inch reflectors instead of 18 inch as planned. I drew this up this morning and I think it will work great.
t5installed.jpg

T52.jpg

I notched out my large lumenarcs for the vhos to slide in and honestly I can't tell a difference in the light being blocked by the vhos I wouldn't sweat it... My tank looks great with the actinics on or off...
Got any pics?

Why not just get Tension hangers? It's what I got and I can lower and raise my lights in literally seconds.

I used 4 of these on my 120 currently: Sunlight Supply Sun Lift (pair)

Seems like your design is overkill and can be solved in a much cheaper method.
Looks like a great alternative, however I kinda want to do the work, I enjoy wood working.

I don't think you will need the bottom 3 adjustable sections. The way the drawing shows it if you put the lights that low they will be in the water. I have vhos with my DIY reflectors. I cut the reflectors down so I would have room to get the vhos in the canopy.
The rails go so far down because of a possible switch to all T5s later on down the road. I might have the hook up and get to run 16 72" rows of T5s. We will see.

ya know the more i look at it i see were your coming from but thats alot of work and a waiste of materials imo. you can just get some i hooks and mount them in the lid of the canopy and just hang the reflectors with jack chain its simple cheap and faster to adjust imo... something to think about anyways... it will save you time and money...;)
See above about wood working.

being a carpenter , i really like the idea. being that you want to adjust the height of your lights , looking at the drawing you would have to pull the lights all the way out to change the height.light cords having to be long enough would be the only draw back imo. what is the blue space in the 5th drawing? is that a space to fan the air out? will it go outside or just into the surrounding room? also whats the dimension on the tank, and what kind of reflectors will you be using
The blue space is explained above. I plan to have cord loops hanging from the top of the canopy. The tank will only go back to where the rear rails are. The rest of the canopy will hang off the back of the tank, and give me 6 inches to run wires, and route exhaust fan lines. Im going to use a bathroom exhaust fan around 500 cfms, vented outside the house. I doubt Ill have a heat problem. lol.

I have the same problem Ive been trying to work out and this is what I came up with. This is still a work in progress, the lamp is much lower than I want or it needs to be. Im gonna cut it down about 1 inch or to just above the corner brace. You can also put a back on it and you can use it as a storage area for little things. Hope it helps.

The picture of the one on the floor I will be installing in the back for anther VHO.
Thanks for the pix...it helped.

tank o tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make it lighter I would eliminate the back rails and large sheets of wood holding the lights. Replace them with aluminum light rack that would be slide in and out on the side rails. Same for the vho's. Wires can be run along the light rack for a nice clean look.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back