Can't Unscrew RODI Canisters

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a BRS RODI unit and this is my first time trying to open it. I've had it since December as a Christmas gift. The canisters are screwed on so friggin tight I can't get them off. I don't want to try to hard in case I crack it. Any tips? Should i put Teflon tape on the threads if i do get them open?

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Brs sells these wrenches for removing the canisters. My rodi unit from brs came with one. Might want to check if yours did also

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those wrenches are available at Lowes/Home Depot as well, and are the same as those used for typically household water filters.

When installing the canisters, only tighten them enough to seal properly.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Brs sells these wrenches for removing the canisters. My rodi unit from brs came with one. Might want to check if yours did also
Those wrenches are available at Lowes/Home Depot as well, and are the same as those used for typically household water filters.

When installing the canisters, only tighten them enough to seal properly.
I am using the canister wrench.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assuming you're turning them to the left to loosen. if its not to hard to get of the wall maybe you can run them under hot water for a bit, seems to work with everything else with a tight lid.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the canister wrench.

I have an older BRS unit and mine are difficult to turn as well. They can take some torque, so dont be afraid to wrench on them really hard. I have to place the top rear section against something flat and immovable (I typically use the cinder block my RO/DI cans are on, and use that as a lever to keep the unit from moving while working the wrench in the opposite direction). Just watch your knuckles.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assuming you're turning them to the left to loosen. if its not to hard to get of the wall maybe you can run them under hot water for a bit, seems to work with everything else with a tight lid.
try running hot water over the screw part, might be able to loosen it a bit
Okay I'll try that later today. I don't have it screwed onto anything btw

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a strap wrench will work for You it's kinda made for removing oil filters. Google strap wrench for a view of one

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often canister sumps are tight the first time.
I use a strap wrench in one hand and the plastic wrench in the other. Also make sure all pressure is relieved if you are hooked to an ASOV valve and float valve, lift the float and let the water all drain out.
Once you get it off, wipe a small amount of food grade silicone grease on the o-rings and only screw them back on hand tight. The o-rings provide the seal and it doesn't take a lot of force.
Make sure you disinfect the unit and replace and flush each filter in individually in sequence when replacing them. A search with my user name and disinfection will bring up hundreds of threads on the subject with replacement directions.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i put Teflon tape on the threads if i do get them open?
Didn't see that this got a clear answer yet; no - do not use Teflon tape. The canisters seal with an o-ring, so you only want to tighten it enough to engage the o-ring enough to create a seal. It's roughly as much force as you would use to cut a steak.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't remember many topics like this one that has come up but dang it's a good one because I hate unscrewing those canisters! HA!

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see that this got a clear answer yet; no - do not use Teflon tape. The canisters seal with an o-ring, so you only want to tighten it enough to engage the o-ring enough to create a seal. It's roughly as much force as you would use to cut a steak.

No Teflon tape

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The membrane is even harder to open and they don't come with tools to open. Any tricks for that AJ?

Anyway, for the canisters I use the canister wrench, the good kind, and a piece of 2x4 about 2 feet long. I double check the direction before hitting the end of the wrench with the 2x4. Depending on how tight it is so increase the force as needed. Left hand lifting up the wrench right hand tapping the wrench at the end. Works for me every single time.

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the membrane canister i almost always have to use a large pair of channel locks to get them loose. No other way for me

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people might be tightening them too tight? I only hand tighten them and then turn it a quarter of a turn with the filter wrench. From that point on, I am almost able to remove them by hand. To the OP, you could always temporarily mount them to a stationary board just so you can get them off?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I remember doing that at first :). Still end up with the 2x4 even when the canister were all line up on the board. lol

I was so frustrated at the thing I was like I don't care if I break them and I got the 2x4. It work out pretty good and now I don't need to mount them to a board any more

To the OP, you could always temporarily mount them to a stationary board just so you can get them off?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 52 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back