Captive-Bred Biota Mandarins

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred male that eats tdo pellets like any other fish. Everyday he comes to the same spot at feeding time. But I do still add pods here and there so he has some snacks;)

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred male that eats tdo pellets like any other fish. Everyday he comes to the same spot at feeding time. But I do still add pods here and there so he has some snacks;)
I want one of these but they dont sell to Canada yet, so im gonna try an ORA one. How often do you feed your mando?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He eats his pellets everyday so I only add pods whenever I feel like buying some, maybe 2-3 months.
Oh ok. Ill probably do about the same. Dosed pods for the first time a week, so im either getting a captive bred mando or a small ruby red. Captive bred mando is more likely choice because of coloration and it eats pellets.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're roughly 1"+ so they are tiny guys but grow up quick in home tanks. Shipping doesn't stress them out much in our experience but they are sensitive to colder temperatures so we usually ship them with heat packs.

Generally, I recommend all hobbyists QT livestock from any vendor, but these guys actually have a specialized system just for mandarins so they aren't mixed with any scaled fish or non-conspecifics.
They're roughly 1"+ so they are tiny guys but grow up quick in home tanks. Shipping doesn't stress them out much in our experience but they are sensitive to colder temperatures so we usually ship them with heat packs.

Generally, I recommend all hobbyists QT livestock from any vendor, but these guys actually have a specialized system just for mandarins so they aren't mixed with any scaled fish or non-conspecifics.

So you guys breed these guys in their own system and never introduce any other fish or equipment? Odds of ich or velvet being basically zero?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you guys breed these guys in their own system and never introduce any other fish or equipment? Odds of ich or velvet being basically zero?
Odds of ich and velvet on mandarins in general is basically zero because they taste sooooo bad, even most parasites wont eat them. PLus they have a thick slime coat.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anxiously waiting for my mandarin to be delivered! It's 11:30 Supposed to be here before noon!

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's possible to keep a mandarin as the sole inhabitant of a 10 gallon cube long-term? Would an automatic feeder dispensing dry food 3-4 times per day with supplemental feedings of frozen and live food be enough to keep a mandarin from going hungry?

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Odds of ich and velvet on mandarins in general is basically zero because they taste sooooo bad, even most parasites wont eat them. PLus they have a thick slime coat.

AND I found out the hard way that the pointed dorsal fin that they raise like a sail, has a hypodermic needle in it. lol. Ouch! I dropped that fish so fast and now I know why bigger fish don't mess with mandarins.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND I found out the hard way that the pointed dorsal fin that they raise like a sail, has a hypodermic needle in it. lol. Ouch! I dropped that fish so fast and now I know why bigger fish don't mess with mandarins.
I didnt know they have a hypodermic needle but now i know to watch out for it. Thanks

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only these from right in the bag. I had to set up a small aquarium because I think it is too small to put in with my female. So just released into the smaller set up-no pics yet. Pic of my female.

IMG_5295.JPG IMG_5301.jpg

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only these from right in the bag. I had to set up a small aquarium because I think it is too small to put in with my female. So just released into the smaller set up-no pics yet. Pic of my female.

IMG_5295.JPG IMG_5301.jpg
Very nice!! I see you also have a bumble bee snail for eating those pesky vermatids.

Back