20201023_202957.jpg 20201023_203130.jpg

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he stays in the corner!!!

20201023_202957.jpg 20201023_203130.jpg
Wowie. That reef looks impressive. Do you have a build thread?

Also, for these asking about pellets, I know many CB ones do eat them. However, mandarins tend to graze all day. So a tank should have a healthy population of pods for them to eat

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowie. That reef looks impressive. Do you have a build thread?

Also, for these asking about pellets, I know many CB ones do eat them. However, mandarins tend to graze all day. So a tank should have a healthy population of pods for them to eat

Sorry no build thread.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine Jake, which pellet do you think is the best to feed. I have hikari-s on hand but so far no interest.
We use TDO B2 pellets as well as Piscine Energetics Pellets has a hatchery size of 400 µm but in a pinch we've crushed up/blended large PE pellets. Over the years we've also used things like Cobalt Aquatics' Smartemia and various LPS coral foods too. They're also fed Frozen Hikari baby brine and PE Calanus. As long as its tiny and smelly they usually go after it.

mrwilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake, this is a great thread - thanks for taking the time to answer everyone’s questions. I’m considering ordering a pair of mandarins, and my favorite thing about mandarins is their cool spawning behavior. I’ve read that captive-bred mandarins don’t reach sexual maturity until they are about 14 months old. Approximately how old are the mandarin pairs you guys are currently selling? (I’m interested to know how long after purchasing them that I might expect to first see them spawn, assuming they are eating and healthy.)

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake, this is a great thread - thanks for taking the time to answer everyone’s questions. I’m considering ordering a pair of mandarins, and my favorite thing about mandarins is their cool spawning behavior. I’ve read that captive-bred mandarins don’t reach sexual maturity until they are about 14 months old. Approximately how old are the mandarin pairs you guys are currently selling? (I’m interested to know how long after purchasing them that I might expect to first see them spawn, assuming they are eating and healthy.)
Hey MrWilson, we typically sell the mandarins at around 75-95dph but it does sometimes depend on their individual growth rate. Mandarins grow slower in higher densities so that can be an issue during our grow-out which would cause them to stay longer at our location. We have heard of customers reporting spawning behavior within 6 months of receiving our pairs but know that may not be viable egg production and usually it isn't until around 2ish years before pairs really get in the swing of things.

To get the quickest results if they have some good space, quality food, timed lighting, and consistent water quality they should exhibit this behavior.

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Jake,

I actually wanted to throw in an order for a blue mandarin but I had a few questions. First I was wondering if you guys did saturday deliveries. Secondly I was wanted to know if there was any way to select the gender of the fish. I wanted to order a male mandarin but I did not see an option to specify on the website.

Thanks for your help!

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come the fish cheaper on algae barn?
Because we are the bomb. That was the first expensive fish i bought and drove 2 hours to algaebarn to pick it ip. Now they have moved and i work there. They are small fish when you get them super cute and mines fat and alot bigger now.he ate pellets the day after i got him. BIOTA has some nice stuff

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine , as your mandarins are still very slow feeders, I am extremely hesitant to try one in my community tank, but am wondering if the uneaten food missed by the other fish would be enough to sustain the Mandarin.... Could I keep one in a community tank with other compatible fish ?

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my pair. The size is accurate. Male is about an inch. Female a tad smaller. Shipping says left Biota facility at 5ish and they were at my door at 9:30 the next morning. i have them acclimated and waiting in a dark bucket. I always put my new fish in after dark. Seems to be the best way.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hohttps://shop.thebiotagroup.com/w are they with bare bottom tanks? And what’s the price

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back