Captive-Bred Biota Mandarins

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say enough good things about your mandarins!! I've had 2 for 2 years now and they are amazing. I make sure there's pods in the tank, but they eat frozen mysis, brine, and just about anything else like you wouldn't believe! I have them in a 75g with 2 clowns and a leopard wrasse and I love them so much. They are very fat and happy. I could not get them to eat frozen or pellets when I first got them and so I supplemented with live baby brine, but about 4 months later they decided it was time to eat everything :)

This picture is a year old, so they're much bigger now, but here's one chowing down on a mysis!

80082628_10164194074180354_4936232941521993728_o.jpg

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my female at close of full day 1. They are in a 150 and hang around the same sinularia leather most of the time. The are braver than i thought they would be. The male does chase the female pretty good. Is this common or a sign i might have two of the same sex. Definitely one is a male. I have a Bellus Angel pair, and the male likes to show his butt from time to time, and a Maroon pair, but little experience with Mandarin behavior. My assessment, is if they get enough food, ill have them a long time.
cJumsRNWSsKeQZ6UP9nnSQ.jpg

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my female at close of full day 1. They are in a 150 and hang around the same sinularia leather most of the time. The are braver than i thought they would be. The male does chase the female pretty good. Is this common or a sign i might have two of the same sex. Definitely one is a male. I have a Bellus Angel pair, and the male likes to show his butt from time to time, and a Maroon pair, but little experience with Mandarin behavior. My assessment, is if they get enough food, ill have them a long time.

If they act like mine they will spend about a 1 week or so in that area and then venture off.

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered a supposed male/female pair from a vendor and I'll give them that it did indeed look like 1 male and 1 female. Evidently the "female" ended up just being a male with a nipped fin and actually ended up being the bigger and more dominant one. So I'd definitely keep an eye out. Mine fought for a few months and now almost 2 years later they both pay no attention to each other but i still do plan to rehome one when i can...

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish has now been MIA for 3 days. Holding out hope its still in the tank since I don't really have anything that would eat it. Figured I would have seen it cross on the sand bed by now at some point.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found him!!!!

20201108_124009.jpg
Hey Huskymaniac, I'm glad you found him! I've had customers put pairs in large tanks only to lose them for a few months until one day they confidently come out of the rockwork 3x the size to grab some frozen or pellet food.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Huskymaniac, I'm glad you found him! I've had customers put pairs in large tanks only to lose them for a few months until one day they confidently come out of the rockwork 3x the size to grab some frozen or pellet food.

He is gone again, haha. It looks he spends a few days in a specific area and then moves on. I am curious if this is normal mandarin behavior?

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to get ahold of someone at Biota? I ordered a mandarin direct through the website, but it died less than 48 hours after I added it to my tank, and I would like to know if it's covered by a guarantee or can be replaced.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. 2 weeks in on my pair. I see them mainly in the same spot around a big finger leather and i mainly see the male. Never seen them eat, but constantly picking when i do see them. i have been shooting TDO pellets with a turkey baster in the back of the leather. i did see them get into a pretty nasty tussle once and the female disappeared for a few days. Went about 5 days before is saw them together last night. They are in a 150 with some pretty large and active tangs, wrasses, angels, but no one pays them any mind, even the 6 line. the 6 line DID NOT like the aphasia eating filefish i got at the same time, but ignores it now too. I decided to post because they seem to be getting larger. They were so tiny when i got them, could hardly make out features, but now i can see them clearly. Anyway, mine seem to be doing fine with full bellies. Hope everyone else are doing well.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can they survive in a bubble tip only tank with rocks? 20 gallons? I have one emerald crab and a peppermint shrimp

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 12 juvenille clowns in there. A harem. brothers and sisters... snowkflakes

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to get ahold of someone at Biota? I ordered a mandarin direct through the website, but it died less than 48 hours after I added it to my tank, and I would like to know if it's covered by a guarantee or can be replaced.
You could message Jake on here or you should have an email address on your receipt. They were in the midst of changing their site/emails over to biotagroup.com-you could try that too.

Last edited:

squidsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be okay to add a mandarin goby from you guys to my tank right now? I set up the tank a few weeks ago and added a pair of captive-bred clowns a week ago. Traditionally I know you should only add mandarins only to a very established tank, but being captive bred, these might be an exception.

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows us for our captive-bred mandarins and for great reason! Our mandarins are fed a diet of pellet and frozen foods so when they get into your tank they're already acclimated and ready to thrive.

Check out this video of a group of them chowing down on some TDO B2 and PE hatchery diet pellets. We also feed them frozen PE Calanus and frozen Hikari baby brine shrimp.

Post any questions you might have about them below!

I have a 45 gallon all in one that has a wrasse that eats pods. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re saying that I could still add one of these as long as I fed it something like frozen pods and the baby brine shrimp I hatch 2-3 times a day?

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon all in one that has a wrasse that eats pods. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re saying that I could still add one of these as long as I fed it something like frozen pods and the baby brine shrimp I hatch 2-3 times a day?

Their mandarins will eat dry and frozen foods, they just need to be fed multiple times a day. You could always hatch brine and then use a PaulB feeder to release them to your mandarin and wrasse throughout the day

Rio1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to order a pair of Blue Mandarins. Would it be possible to have them shipped on either December 14th or 15th?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back