Captive-Bred Biota Mandarins

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How established should a tank be before adding these? I have 2 clowns we just dropped into our DT. Quarantining a fox face once it arrives and adding a CUC. Don’t want to add them too soon as I want them to survive and thrive.
mandarins are my dream fish haha

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. One, copper and mandarins generally do not mix. Two, they are grown in a sterile facility so they have not been exposed to pathogens. Enjoy!
QT yes, I would say no on the copper. Mandarins have a natural slime coat and usually fend off most problems. I did not Qt my Biota Mandarin but it went into it's own tank not my main display because they are so tiny when you get them. He is big and beautiful now. I would ask Biota what they are feeding and follow their recommendations. They are used to eating pellets and frozen already.
IMG_7934.jpg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of our fish are fed 3-4 times a day except on the day they get shipped out
Hi Jake,

I got my pair last week and they arrived healthy. I have some TDO small pellets, but they weren't too interested. Are these too big for them and should I switch to the b2 size?

I had them in an isolation box without a cover to see how they were eating, but they decided to jump into the tank. Any tips on getting them to eat prepared foods in the display?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine I placed order for a pair on Monday for Wed 10/13 delivery but so far has not yet received shipment confirmation. Please confirm when my order will be shipped out.
Hey Reef Magnet, Do you have an order number? When you check out there's a calendar for you to select your delivery date. Our tracking information typically goes out around 3-4 PM EST everyday.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jake,

I got my pair last week and they arrived healthy. I have some TDO small pellets, but they weren't too interested. Are these too big for them and should I switch to the b2 size?

I had them in an isolation box without a cover to see how they were eating, but they decided to jump into the tank. Any tips on getting them to eat prepared foods in the display?
You can crush up the TDO pellets if they seem too big. I believe the small size they sell is the same as the C1 sizing they sell to breeding facilities.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can crush up the TDO pellets if they seem too big. I believe the small size they sell is the same as the C1 sizing they sell to breeding facilities.
Got it, thanks Jake! Should I try to catch them and place them back in an acclimation container? Its hard for me to tell if they are eating the pellets when i throw them in the tank. I just want to ensure they are eating. I see them picking on pods, but just wanted to be sure.

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarins are in their own system with only mandarins so they should be good to go any any system because of their lack of traditional scales and their mucus that keeps them safe from external pests/parasites.

As for the rest of our fish I do have a QT answer on our site but I suggest just a holding tank for a week or so to make sure they're all good. Our facility is biosecure and we don't have any wild livestock coming in so it's only what comes from our labs or facilities around the globe. Each facility also has their own system. We just ran out of our last batch of seal's cardinalfish but I know we'll be getting more in soon.

One thing with the seal's cardinalfish is they do ship poorly like a few other cardinalfish families. So when they do arrive I would suggest continuing to acclimate them even if they look DOA because of their stress response. Once in the aquarium they're basically bullet proof though and form an awesome shoal.
Off topic for the thread, but do you have a video of the shoal? Might add these to the mandarins for the future order.

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order #2447
Yes I chose 10/13 as delivery date when I placed order on Mon 10/11
@Biota_Marine order placed 10/11 with 10/13 delivery selected. If you cannot fulfill shipment please process refund instead. I hate to be kept waiting without a response

Attachments

• AA2BB198-6941-4F5F-82CA-BF6597498F53.png
    AA2BB198-6941-4F5F-82CA-BF6597498F53.png
    320.7 KB · Views: 37

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back