!*!*!*!*!*! Captive Bred Fish!*!*!*!*!*!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic kept me going for a while with all the new types of captive bred fish coming into the hobby market.
With numerous threads about stocking a tank with fish, how big, how many, aggressive etc, etc.
I've been thinking for a while now to take my tank down as we know it :( and rebuild it back up from the ground :) but only using material as in liverock that is man made and brought to live to our own resources for example ......... http://tbsaltwater.com/
Most if not all of my corals are captive grown, yes of course the original source is from the reefs around the world but i bought or traded them as frags from frags.
Thinking of two groups of corals in the tank layout as in two rock formations, one with only corals from the Australian reefs regions and the second rock formation only corals from the Azian reefs.
Still it will be mostly sticks (SPS) as I already have them.
That said the same I was thinking about the fish but than how awesome would it be to stock your tank only with captive bred fish??
I know their will be not a whole lot of choice to please me as many ppl know I like the delicate fish in my tanks but heck their are a few captive bred fish out there that can make a tank look pretty awesome.
All my fish I have now will be obsolete and need to go in a different tank or just get rid of them as all are wild caught and not bred in a system.
They probably will end up in my frag tanks but that's for a later concern.
I'm more a coral guy if it comes down to the overall look but having a large system setup with only resources as mention above that would be awesome, man made rock, aqua grown corals and captive bred fish.
On top of that I don't use any of the additives to have my corals or fish look great, I use a variation of frozen food (Larry's, Rod's, the new PE mysis duo packs and my own fresh frozen Blackworms) not using nutrients removing chemicals but just rely on my skimmer and water changes.
I feel I become a complete greeny :p basically ;) !!!HELP!!! :eek:

Now with this plan I need help from the R2R community to put together a list of captive bred fish currently available and where to get them as in vendors breeders etc.
See it as a DATA BASE of captive bred fish in the hobby trade.
I know the clown fish will be the first but I ain't a clown guy but yes please do mention these as well cause I know there will be many like me trying to follow this concept if some not already done so.
Any input will welcome as always.

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First to my mind are banghai cardinals and the "white" yellow tang.

Concept sounds cool. Corals should/could be easy. Sourcing the fish would be the harder part. And the more expensive part.

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A court jester goby would be pretty cool or an ORA Watchman Goby, file fish, and the star of the tank is a Marine Betta.

Good luck with this, it sounds interesting.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, keep it coming.

The Clarion is for sure nice and will be a nice substitute for the Bandit.
A few of these Yellow tangs isn't bad either, they will not be even close to replace my Gem and Black long nose tang but so will be it.
Probably will donate the Gem and Black tang to a aquarium exhibition here in Houston.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A court jester goby would be pretty cool or an ORA Watchman Goby, file fish, and the star of the tank is a Marine Betta.

Good luck with this, it sounds interesting.

Didn't know they captive bred the Marine Beta, thanks for that.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First to my mind are banghai cardinals and the "white" yellow tang.

Concept sounds cool. Corals should/could be easy. Sourcing the fish would be the harder part. And the more expensive part.

Correct, that's why I like to put together a Data base of currently captive bred fish in the trade.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But your tank is so awesome now. Maybe just start a new one??? :)

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are captive bred dragonets available.

You know from who or where?
I have two ruby reds as we speak and they are a pair but a pair of captive breeds would be awesome.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ruby reds as we speak and they are a pair but a pair of captive breeds would be awesome.

I think I remember reading ORA was having some success. Let me do a little digging and see if I can find it again.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But your tank is so awesome now. Maybe just start a new one??? :)

Yes it is but I need challenges, a hobby with no challenge isn't a hobby to me, and I thought about a new setup but not till the end of 2017 or maybe 2020 when I finished my other house.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA just had their first hatch of ruby reds. Hopefully they will make market soon!

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back