OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Lines are some of my favorites. Scribbled get pretty but how big was yours? Heard they easily get over 8”. You also had an Asfur right? How long did you have it and did it get big? Looking forward to your Angel selections for your new tank.
I imagine like most fish, the large angels' growth is significantly slower as they get larger, since these fish live an extraordinarily long time. An 8-10 inch asfur or scribbled is very rare because of this I'd guess.

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sort of seem odd that they have settled on that size for sale. It’s a fine line as a business, I know, but people need to have confidence in their purchases and something seems off with these quarter sized angels as far as mortality.

In terms of business, I don’t think they need to hold them much longer than they currently are. Look at post #22 on this thread. 2 months separates the before and after on that regal. Looks like two entirely different fish. The cost for an extra 1.5-2 months hold time can’t be that big of a hit on ROI when the fish are consuming pellets and your buying customer confidence.

Pomas angels are bullet proof. But they did at one time sell them very small. That being said, still ~1.5x the size of biotas Multibars. A lot of their current inventory is slow selling. I don’t think they intended to keep fish till ~4”. But, at the end of the day, how many people want a Blueline Angel or Conspic? Probably less than what their broodstock are producing.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of business, I don’t think they need to hold them much longer than they currently are. Look at post #22 on this thread. 2 months separates the before and after on that regal. Looks like two entirely different fish. The cost for an extra 1.5-2 months hold time can’t be that big of a hit on ROI when the fish are consuming pellets and your buying customer confidence.

Pomas angels are bullet proof. But they did at one time sell them very small. That being said, still ~1.5x the size of biotas Multibars. A lot of their current inventory is slow selling. I don’t think they intended to keep fish till ~4”. But, at the end of the day, how many people want a Blueline Angel or Conspic? Probably less than what their broodstock are producing.
I imagine there's a big difference in growth between being grown out in a rearing vat versus a full blow reef tank. Also, depending on facility size, it might cost them to hold up valuable space that could be used to breed more of the species that move quicker. That might not apply to Poma because they only work with a few species, but Biota works with at least a dozen or more at once.

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting to read through all this.

The store I go to on the regular received 4 regals when they first came out and they all ate like crazy the TDO pellets. Super active and friendly.

I know two of the guys who took one each and in their tanks they eat exclusively TDO pellets, no flakes or frozen.

Beautiful little fish but too pricey to have them die on you

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting to read through all this.

The store I go to on the regular received 4 regals when they first came out and they all ate like crazy the TDO pellets. Super active and friendly.

I know two of the guys who took one each and in their tanks they eat exclusively TDO pellets, no flakes or frozen.

Beautiful little fish but too pricey to have them die on you
That's the weirdest part: the inconsistency. They all generally come from the place (Bali Aquarich), but whoever the middle men happen to be seems to make a difference.

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the weirdest part: the inconsistency. They all generally come from the place (Bali Aquarich), but whoever the middle men happen to be seems to make a difference.
I believe he got all of them from Biota.

As far as I know all four are still alive in the tanks. Like I said I only know two of them.

He also has a CB Gold Flake angel that is super tempting but another $500 fish

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as I know all four are still alive in the tanks. Like I said I only know two of them.

Biota seems to take the extra step to at least train them on pellets. Like I said before, the multibar I got from them ate pellets before anything else, even live baby brine. Makes me wonder what the original breeders have them on, that's what kills me about losing these fish more than anything (although the cost does sting).

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine there's a big difference in growth between being grown out in a rearing vat versus a full blow reef tank. Also, depending on facility size, it might cost them to hold up valuable space that could be used to breed more of the species that move quicker. That might not apply to Poma because they only work with a few species, but Biota works with at least a dozen or more at once.
Their broodstock tanks wouldn’t be the same as holding. Not growth so much. What I’m after is sustained, consistent diet. Sure, it would be less beneficial on cost. But how many of those dozen or so fish command a $500 price tag? Or half? With 6K + of square footage, They can spare a few tanks for fish that need a little extra rearing time.

I think what Biota does is fantastic. These little guys just needed a little extra bake time.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I got from Reef Beauties eventually stopped eating and died. Started her on live baby brine and moved to arctipods and calanus, but she just stopped taking it. The one I got from Biota started on pellets (crazy) and is starting to pick at san fran angel & butterfly formula. Will probably offer Larry's as well later today, see how she likes it.
Did you try switching the reef beauties guy back to baby brine?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just for another data point I have another thread but I got two muiltibar and one Goldflake from biota and literally in 2 hours every one was eating tdo and new life spectrum x small pellets. I had fresh hatched bbs and frozen but they mostly ignored those for the pellets.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The one from Biota was eating so sparsely that I think it just starved. Never really ate with any vigor, just picked at various foods (including pellets, if I gave her a thumbnails-worth she would eat like 3 or 4 then stop). Down to the one I got a few days ago from Quality Marine, this one is slightly bigger, but we'll see if it makes a difference. This is really getting on my nerves as this feels like I'm doing something wrong if I'm losing these angels after about a month or two each.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try switching the reef beauties guy back to baby brine?
I tried it but she never really took to it again. It's frustrating because out of the three I had, two died from what seems to be starvation because they would only take nibbles of certain foods and then ignore the rest of those same foods, like they lost interest or didn't like the flavor.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it but she never really took to it again. It's frustrating because out of the three I had, two died from what seems to be starvation because they would only take nibbles of certain foods and then ignore the rest of those same foods, like they lost interest or didn't like the flavor.
That’s the tricky part with these tiny specimens. There’s no fat reserves for them to fall back on, if they happen to get an upset stomach or something. That happened to my Regal a few times. Sometimes it’s just a case of the fish having an upset stomach were they don’t eat for up to 10 days. But if they don’t have fat reserves to fall back on, they start drawing on their liver for nutrition and that’s pretty much the beginning of the end. Sorry about your loss dude.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the tricky part with these tiny specimens. There’s no fat reserves for them to fall back on, if they happen to get an upset stomach or something. That happened to my Regal a few times. Sometimes it’s just a case of the fish having an upset stomach were they don’t eat for up to 10 days. But if they don’t have fat reserves to fall back on, they start drawing on their liver for nutrition and that’s pretty much the beginning of the end. Sorry about your loss dude.
Indeed. Very frustrating, especially after I've gone through so many wild individuals trying everything to get them to survive, I thought these little ones would be my dream come true. Seems to be only occasionally more successful.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed. Very frustrating, especially after I've gone through so many wild individuals trying everything to get them to survive, I thought these little ones would be my dream come true. Seems to be only occasionally more successful.
If I may offer a recommendation in the event you want to give it another go. If you get them eating something, whatever it is, stay with it for a while before you wean them onto other food. Try to fatten them up with what works. Good luck in the future. I’ve always loved raising tiny Angelfish.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may offer a recommendation in the event you want to give it another go. If you get them eating something, whatever it is, stay with it for a while before you wean them onto other food. Try to fatten them up with what works. Good luck in the future. I’ve always loved raising tiny Angelfish.
I do have another multibar, probably my last unless this one actually eats with any gumption. From Quality Marine. While I understand the suggestion, it's not like I'm swapping foods daily. If I notice a fish eating one food, I'll offer it daily in addition to other things to see what else piques their interest. I figure offering multiple things during feeding time gets the brain working, like, "hey, this stuff showed up when food showed up, maybe it's food," kinda thinking. I tried to start the previous multies on live baby brine at first, then mixing in things like arctipods and calanus, but even with the pure brine they never seemed to stuff themselves. Maybe I need to culture rotifers or something, I don't know.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have another multibar, probably my last unless this one actually eats with any gumption. From Quality Marine. While I understand the suggestion, it's not like I'm swapping foods daily. If I notice a fish eating one food, I'll offer it daily in addition to other things to see what else piques their interest. I figure offering multiple things during feeding time gets the brain working, like, "hey, this stuff showed up when food showed up, maybe it's food," kinda thinking. I tried to start the previous multies on live baby brine at first, then mixing in things like arctipods and calanus, but even with the pure brine they never seemed to stuff themselves. Maybe I need to culture rotifers or something, I don't know.
If the fish are not aggressively, frantically eating the live baby brine, then they are not healthy. If you see that, you should address it with the supplier.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish are not aggressively, fanatically eating the live baby brine, then they are not healthy. If you see that, you should address it with the supplier.
That's the thing, all three came from different places. One from Biota, one from Reef Beauties, and this newest one from Quality Marine. I assume they all come from Bali Aquarich, which means it would have to be an issue with these middlemen. Of course, Reef Beauties considers the fish Expert Only which means you're on your own after it arrives. Biota has a week-long guarantee, which usually means if it takes longer than a week to starve to death then that's on you. And Quality Marine is a wholesaler, so if it arrives alive, it's no longer in their hands.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing, all three came from different places. One from Biota, one from Reef Beauties, and this newest one from Quality Marine. I assume they all come from Bali Aquarich, which means it would have to be an issue with these middlemen. Of course, Reef Beauties considers the fish Expert Only which means you're on your own after it arrives. Biota has a week-long guarantee, which usually means if it takes longer than a week to starve to death then that's on you. And Quality Marine is a wholesaler, so if it arrives alive, it's no longer in their hands.

For the kind of money they’re getting for these fish, if these little guys are not aggressively, frantically eating the baby brine almost immediately, by the second day after an overnight settling in, then you need at least to bring it to their attention and see what they say.

Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in my QT right now a 1 1/2 inch and a 2 inch Atlantic blue tang, together. When I put the live baby brine into the tank, they go nuts. Freaking nuts. And this is the same reaction I’ve received from every Angelfish I’ve ever had at that size. If you’re not getting that reaction, something’s wrong.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back