This is the two tangs in with a pair of clowns I’m trying to get to breed

2BFB5928-51CA-4221-91B7-FC6C7534A159.jpeg

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give you a heads-up. Reef Beauties is offering a wild-caught tiny (I think) Multibar Angelfish for $95. They have it categorized as “expert only” so there’s no 15 day guarantee. Just arrive alive +2 hours of grace. You might want to try a wild-caught fish and offer it some live baby brine. In the wild, these fish feed on micro plankton. Baby brine is an excellent substitute for micro plankton. You might have better luck. Take care.

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my surprise, my BA Multibar from reef beauties is taking frozen foods after 9 days of a food strike. I’ve had success with frozen calanus, mysis, and brine. He’s gotten larger since I had first gotten him also. I was getting scared he would eventually pass due to starvation.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have been very lucky. Both my biota MB while ignoring frozen and only pecking at bbs go nuts for pellets and have grown along with a nice full belly.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my surprise, my BA Multibar from reef beauties is taking frozen foods after 9 days of a food strike. I’ve had success with frozen calanus, mysis, and brine. He’s gotten larger since I had first gotten him also. I was getting scared he would eventually pass due to starvation.
I must have been very lucky. Both my biota MB while ignoring frozen and only pecking at bbs go nuts for pellets and have grown along with a nice full belly.
Either that or I'm very unlucky. Good job with the fish

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the regal angels reef safe to include clams generally or stay away? Interested in adding a pair to the new tank.

mokmok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greeting from Thailand , here i also got captive bred multibar from my lfs along with venustus almost 3 months.

to share my experience , as we known that they're super tiny and not accept any pellet or flake at beginning
( i guess Bali Aquarich they never offered them before )

at first i tried every food and i found that he accept frozen copepod and new born artemia.
so first month day 1-30 i offer him both to make him fatty and greedy

1661850039472.png

here's clip how he like new born artemia.

Day 30-45 , now he also accept frozen brine shrimp ( need to choose only small size to prevent accident )

Day 45+ , here we go ! he finally accept tiny Spectrum pellet

last 2 weeks i lost my venustus , he showed sign of stress . i guess i kept him in small box for too long.
so i decided to release my multibar out of the box to let him face my senior angels in DT and hope he's a fighter.

as expected first few days he got chased and few attack by senior but so far he's doing good.
as you will see in my clip , he's super tiny compared to other fishs and with one critical attack may kill him instantly.

Hope he can survive until he got bigger..

i think CB multibar will be offered seasonally after this
( in Thailand this is the second batch that LFS ordered from Bali Aquarich ).

so hope my comment will be useful more or less for whom already had or looking fw to have it soon ..... cheers

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my most recent CB Multi is eating like a champ, and it has been from day one. Only took me four attempts. However, even with two feedings a day of various items like pellets, frozen foods, etc. she doesn't seem to be keeping weight well. I'm thinking of putting an autofeeder on the tank with pellets for at least 3 pellet feedings a day in addition to my frozen feedings.

DanM1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank size would you recommend for the CB regal angelfish? Is a 90 gallon 4’ pushing it?

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank size would you recommend for the CB regal angelfish? Is a 90 gallon 4’ pushing it?
It's a regal, so in theory it could reach about 9 inches in length, although this is unlikely in captivity unless you have it for many many years. Obviously you can start it off in a tank that size and it would suffice for quite a while, but you should have a plan for when it gets to where you feel it needs larger: probably above the 6" mark. It will probably be a bit territorial in that size tank as it gets larger as well.

DanM1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I love regals but I don’t want to be the kind of person who gets a fish banking on an upgrade that may not happen in the future. I’m thinking possibly a pair of multis. What do you guys think about buying a small pair of CB multis and having them grow up together

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bit lucky... picked up a multibar from biota at MACNA and I was acclimating it in a glass bowl and it was trying to pick at the floor under it lol... I put it in an acclimation box for now and it ate pellets immediately.

Pecks at frozen but prefers pellets. I hope I can get it eating LRS well. Would not eat live worms. Eats pellets really well.

This is what it is eating, Biota gave it to me with the fish. It tried other pellets I had but it struggles even with size small pellets, these ones are a bit smaller then my others so that helps.

1663512834182.png

Last edited:

DakotahSteel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The capture issue is the one I care most about, since, if you've ever tried to keep a wild multibar, it's a very serious detriment to the keeping of the species in most cases. Regals are challenging in their own right, but multibars are a whole different world of issues. I've had 7 wild caught individuals, not a single one even gave a hint at being interested in prepared foods.
Man I’ve had a misbar for a little over a month now wild caught and the dude is a little piggy sorry to hear you didn’t have good luck!

Attachments

• 785AE7B9-12BC-433C-9AB6-8B36119A8975.png
    785AE7B9-12BC-433C-9AB6-8B36119A8975.png
    1 MB · Views: 62
OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’ve had a misbar for a little over a month now wild caught and the dude is a little piggy sorry to hear you didn’t have good luck!
I was talking about wild multibar angels, not misbar regals. Regals have a better success rate than multibars. I can count the amount of wild multibars I've seen doing well in tanks on one hand.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I love regals but I don’t want to be the kind of person who gets a fish banking on an upgrade that may not happen in the future. I’m thinking possibly a pair of multis. What do you guys think about buying a small pair of CB multis and having them grow up together
Multibars and other dwarves don't live in pairs naturally, although I assume it's possible, they live in harems. I would try to do at least 3, which is what I was doing with my CB multibars, but only one out of the 4 hasn't starved to death so far, even captive bred. Very perplexing and aggravating. It's not that they didnt eat; the foods they took varied per individual but it was never enough to keep them full. They would eat a little bit then stop. I'm going to try again soon.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not own the regal or multibar but I have several different fish from Biota and one thing I've learned is to keep a variety of food on hand and feed often. In fact I note what they say they are feeding and make sure I have some on hand. This came in handy with my recent purchase of 4 pink squares.

Some come in smaller than others. My matted filefish was about the size of a US dime so it went into the refugium without flow for a bit. Same with the radial filefish. Pink squares went right into the display as they are larger. Gobies, well, are gobies and into the display they went.

I also feed multiple times a day. Each feeding different food noted on a cup so I could watch what they ate. Not just pick or nose around but actually strike much like a trout going after a fly. I'd repeat the process over and over then only feed that making sure I had something in there. Of course the negative effect of multiple feeding across pellet and frozen is higher nutrients or the possibility. My phosphates are higher has a by product but figured it is worth it.

Also I prefer to buy direct if possible. I dislike middle layer holding tanks. Too much risk in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about the multibar but thank you for posting. A lot of useful information. Well worth the read so thank you for your time.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regal was from Quality Marine, the multibar was from Reef Beauties (not sure this matters though, I'm pretty sure all these angels are coming from Bali Aquarich with the exception of the ones direct from Biota; even then I think the regals are all from Bali Aquarich).

The regal never really took to prepared foods like I expected a captive bred fish to (as I said before), and I was negligent in trying a large variety like I should have, thinking "oh it will figure it out, it's captive bred." The multibar I started on live baby brine a day or two after it arrived, and that seemed to have gotten her used to the idea of feeding off of stuff floating around her.
I spoke with biota regarding he multibars and they told me they don’t breed it themselves. They do get it from Bali, the one I purchased from Biota was eating live and frozen brine but no mysis

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back