Captive Bred Regal and Multibar Angel

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Biota Angels as you can see from this pic. The Regal is in the back to the left about 2 months old and the Venustas about 1 week. I acclimated both in a box as you can see for about a week before releasing into gen population. The Regal came shy, small and took his time to eat. I made sure there was food (frozen brine and mysis, pellets) for him to pick at in the box whether he wanted it or not. Eventually within the week he started eating both and was released but only started eating with gusto in the coming weeks as he started to dominate the tank. I still target feed him to keep him fat. His tank mates were only chromis and cardinal until I got the Venustas last week. The Venustas didnt eat for about 5 days while acclimating in the box. His stomach was really emaciated. I also made sure there was food in the box both frozen and pellets at all times and would vacuum uneaten food multiple times daily. He would never eat in front of me but i noticed the stomach be less emaciated one morning and concluded he was definitely eating off the fauna on the live rock i kept with him, or eating the food sitting on the bottom when i wasnt looking. Today the Venustas will only eat frozen brine so far, but eats until his belly is fat. It is target fed along with the Regal, but doing pretty well now.
1656343064016.png

1656343254750.png

Teddy00024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s a picture of my CB regal. I believe there’s a two month gap in between the before and after picture. The last picture was taken earlier this week. He was initially shy and most likely eating pods/algae the first couple of weeks. He’s since become more bold and eats all frozen food like a pig. Very outgoing and curious now.

On a second note, will there be a problem if I add a CB majestic with him?

Attachments

• F4673E6D-2089-48CF-BB37-8F9E81FD80D3.jpeg
    F4673E6D-2089-48CF-BB37-8F9E81FD80D3.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 90
  • 39B2EB6C-E5D5-460C-916C-18E00FFE5E34.jpeg
    39B2EB6C-E5D5-460C-916C-18E00FFE5E34.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 95
  • A1C0FBE4-0057-4DA3-B445-E72949108977.jpeg
    A1C0FBE4-0057-4DA3-B445-E72949108977.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of my CB regal. I believe there’s a two month gap in between the before and after picture. The last picture was taken earlier this week. He was initially shy and most likely eating pods/algae the first couple of weeks. He’s since become more bold and eats all frozen food like a pig. Very outgoing and curious now.

She's beautiful.

Depends on the tank size. I would lean towards yes, as angels are naturally territorial. Good idea to have the new angel in a large acclimation box when introduced to the tank so they can see each other but not directly interact.

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want the Biota Goldflake with my Regal and Venustus. Im not too worried if they are introduced as juves. I do see in your tank the sps frags. Does your Regal pick at the sps? My Regal tastes all my frags and i do not have any long polyp extension anymore with any of my sps. They have adjusted and will come out at night, but during the day the sps look naked... sad, yet they grow fine.

Teddy00024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to have more PE like you mentioned but certain frags don’t have much now. Some however, still do. I have yet to see him picking at frags but it doesn’t mean he isn’t. I try to feed him often to prevent this.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the Biota Goldflake with my Regal and Venustus. Im not too worried if they are introduced as juves. I do see in your tank the sps frags. Does your Regal pick at the sps? My Regal tastes all my frags and i do not have any long polyp extension anymore with any of my sps. They have adjusted and will come out at night, but during the day the sps look naked... sad, yet they grow fine.
Polyp extension doesn't happen during the day in the wild, as corallivorous fishes keep that from happening. It's normal for them to come out at night only.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had no problem with a Majestic and a Regal in my 125. The Regal, even though he may be smaller, commands a level of respect from other fish. I had a Powder Blue Tang that used to harass everybody, except for the Regal who was a full inch shorter. Strangest thing.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no problem with a Majestic and a Regal in my 125. The Regal, even though he may be smaller, commands a level of respect from other fish. I had a Powder Blue Tang that used to harass everybody, except for the Regal who was a full inch shorter. Strangest thing.
I want to qualify this. I had a flame angel that harassed the regal. The only one. Eventually, I had to lose the flame. Maybe it was bad luck, but one by one I had to get rid of all my fish except for a pair of clowns and a chalk bass. Either because they harassed other fish or they started eating my corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the multi bars doing?
The one I got from Reef Beauties eventually stopped eating and died. Started her on live baby brine and moved to arctipods and calanus, but she just stopped taking it. The one I got from Biota started on pellets (crazy) and is starting to pick at san fran angel & butterfly formula. Will probably offer Larry's as well later today, see how she likes it.

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one from reef beauties last week and mine hasnt taken food yet. I’ve tried a variety of frozen but it has no interest. I’m going to try live brine. Upsetting how its so picky :(

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Poma Labs captive bred angels seem to be bulletproof and they come with a 30 day guarantee. https://pomalabs.com/

See a video of the ones I had before moving: My Poma Labs Blueline Angels
Looks like they only do a few of the big angels, including conspics.
Exactly. If everyone put in the time and effort for their CB angels to be a good size and eating with gusto before selling them like Poma Labs does, these kinds of threads wouldn't exist. Buying fish the size of a quarter comes with it's own set of challenges which aren't too different from the wild counterparts in some ways.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the angels I kept (or tried to keep) I always found Scribbled to be the most friendly and interactive. I did not have my Bluelines very long since I had to move but I figured that since they were in the same genus as the Scribbled, they may be as interactive. They arrive hungry and eat immediately. I will probably get 1 or a pair for my new tank. I know they come healthy and have a good guarantee.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. If everyone put in the time and effort for their CB angels to be a good size and eating with gusto before selling them like Poma Labs does, these kinds of threads wouldn't exist. Buying fish the size of a quarter comes with it's own set of challenges which aren't too different from the wild counterparts in some ways.
It does sort of seem odd that they have settled on that size for sale. It’s a fine line as a business, I know, but people need to have confidence in their purchases and something seems off with these quarter sized angels as far as mortality.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sort of seem odd that they have settled on that size for sale. It’s a fine line as a business, I know, but people need to have confidence in their purchases and something seems off with these quarter sized angels as far as mortality.
I imagine they're so expensive at this size, it might be unreasonable at larger sizes.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Lines are some of my favorites. Scribbled get pretty but how big was yours? Heard they easily get over 8”. You also had an Asfur right? How long did you have it and did it get big? Looking forward to your Angel selections for your new tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back