Caribbean Biotope

rdevoe11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the deal? Why don't we see more people doing Caribbean themed tanks? Is it because they aren't quite as eye catching as the reefs of the Southern Pacific and Indian Ocean? Is it because they are somehow inherently harder to care for (ie. gorgonians, sponges, etc)? Or is it simply because of the lack of availability of Caribbean specimens due to collection laws in the region?

Having grown up in Central Florida, and having spent a good bit of time diving in the Keys (and even Belize once!) I've always been fascinated by the diversity of life that exists on the reefs in the Caribbean. Sure, you won't find a 6ft by 6ft tabling acro colony, but there's just something about the movement of the sea fans and gorgonians, the pops of color from the various sponges, and swimming over a ledge to see a 10+ foot brain coral head teeming with life (even if it is entirely BROWN :tongue:).

side note: When I can afford to commission the building of an 8'x2'x2' 240g tank, rest assured, it will be a Caribbean reef (complete with a sea grass bed, though that may be artificial, oops).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back