Carpet Anemone Missing

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 carpet anemones. 2 green Pizzas and a ruby red. The red one was smaller and now its missing. Last known location: it was chilling right next to and under my minimaxi pizza. Now its gone. I moved the rock around to see if maybe it went underneath but no luck. Is it possible that the pizza carpet ate him? DO they do that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this anemone is suffocating him to his death. Im about ready to break the rock open to rescue him. Wha should I do? This anemone is no where to be found. #reefsquad

IMG_2457.JPG

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just give it some time, they can and will move to find a spot that suits them.
[/QUOT
OK - Im just really worried about him. He's my favorite anemone in my tank. I know they like to layer on top of each other. I swear he's gotta be under this bigger maxi- my flow is high right now because im treating my tank with some chemiclean. So he's probably hiding and shrunken. Here he is in the center Sp pretty.
fullsizeoutput_6ab.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6ab.jpeg

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 carpet anemones. 2 green Pizzas and a ruby red. The red one was smaller and now its missing. Last known location: it was chilling right next to and under my minimaxi pizza. Now its gone. I moved the rock around to see if maybe it went underneath but no luck. Is it possible that the pizza carpet ate him? DO they do that?
Maybe it melted. Any brown jelly anywhere in your tank? Sometimes things just melt away even with perfect parameters and there goes your money...

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME Those rebuy red “carpets” are not actually carpets, they are not stichodactyla and don’t get along with the real carpets.
I’m also under the assumption that it just melted and is gone, that’s what every one of those stupid “ruby reds” did to everyone I know locally.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I found him - PHEW. I was like a mother searching for missing child! Gave me a heart attack. Call the reef police!
He was wedged in a tight corner underneath my live rock.
I think he's just upset with the high flow right now for the medicine.
IMG_2466.JPG

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it melted. Any brown jelly anywhere in your tank? Sometimes things just melt away even with perfect parameters and there goes your money...
Good to know. Ive been working so hard to stabilize my perams after a recent wipe out of 4 creatures.

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I found him - PHEW. I was like a mother searching for missing child! Gave me a heart attack. Call the reef police!
He was wedged in a tight corner underneath my live rock.
I think he's just upset with the high flow right now for the medicine.
IMG_2466.JPG
Hahaha just leave him be and he’ll come out one day. Also with those mini carpets they like to be at the bottom of the tank with less light. Put smaller rock into the sand and they’ll attach to the rock with sand protecting their feet.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha just leave him be and he’ll come out one day. Also with those mini carpets they like to be at the bottom of the tank with less light. Put smaller rock into the sand and they’ll attach to the rock with sand protecting their feet.
I absolutely love this suggestion thank you so much. I'll to do that. However, usually my light isn't this bright I just did full spectrum for the photo.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Keen4 Did the guy ever come out from hiding? I just had mine do the same thing. The original spot I put him in months was clearly not to his liking. So he moved up just under an overhang. There he sat for months. 4 months, maybe? Today I woke to him "missing." After finding your post and comment that he was found under and hiding, I checked as well. Mine is certainly hiding in the back and full shade. Near my flame scallop, actually. Before he moved he was eating well, stretching out, and clearly growing. He looked amazing. Now he just looks stretched out more flatly than before but that is likely due to the spot being flatter.

I'm just wondering how things went with yours and how long it took.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Keen4 Did the guy ever come out from hiding? I just had mine do the same thing. The original spot I put him in months was clearly not to his liking. So he moved up just under an overhang. There he sat for months. 4 months, maybe? Today I woke to him "missing." After finding your post and comment that he was found under and hiding, I checked as well. Mine is certainly hiding in the back and full shade. Near my flame scallop, actually. Before he moved he was eating well, stretching out, and clearly growing. He looked amazing. Now he just looks stretched out more flatly than before but that is likely due to the spot being flatter.

I'm just wondering how things went with yours and how long it took.

Cheers!
YA he came out and then go stung by my rock flower and died. sadly. I have a bigger tank now with 5 bta's!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone - bumping this thread here. I got one of these rube red mini carpets as well and the first thing it did was start moving towards a deep crevice in the rock work. Luckily it has not moved for a month now after finding its spot. It has eaten a few times. Hoping it comes out one day so I will actually get to see it.

Anyone else have a good experience with these? Got them to actually come out and not die? Want to see some photos if so so I can actually see them.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone - bumping this thread here. I got one of these rube red mini carpets as well and the first thing it did was start moving towards a deep crevice in the rock work. Luckily it has not moved for a month now after finding its spot. It has eaten a few times. Hoping it comes out one day so I will actually get to see it.

Anyone else have a good experience with these? Got them to actually come out and not die? Want to see some photos if so so I can actually see them.

Hi!

At this point, it's been months since my red mini went into hiding. I can see him. He is wedged between rockwork directly across from my flame scallop. I am guessing that these anemones just don't require as much light as I would have thought because otherwise, I would have expected him to move back under lighting. He gets indirect light, as in there is an overhang directly over him shading. I wonder what PAR is back there. I need to buy a meter to just have it on hand for things like this.

Mine appears healthy, when viewed at the right angle outside of the tank he is still vibrant red, he responds to touch (shrimp passing as well as mysis food), and he occasionally shifts a few millimeters in any direction as well as sprawls and contracts.

At this point, I have to assume it is the flow pattern he likes. He is downstream from where I usually drop plankton for the scallop to pick up.

I probably won't choose to pick up any additional anemones for this or future tanks. There are plenty of corals that are just as beautiful and mesmerizing.

Good luck!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although absolutely beautiful I have heard these anemones are hit or miss (a lot of times miss). I can tell you from my PAR readings that my red mini is hiding in the crevice of the rocks at the bottom of the tank which when exposed to light is around 100-150 PAR. I imagine it is more so adjusting to the type of light than the PAR count - at least this is what I am hoping.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although absolutely beautiful I have heard these anemones are hit or miss (a lot of times miss). I can tell you from my PAR readings that my red mini is hiding in the crevice of the rocks at the bottom of the tank which when exposed to light is around 100-150 PAR. I imagine it is more so adjusting to the type of light than the PAR count - at least this is what I am hoping.

Heya, any updates on your nem coming back out?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya, any updates on your nem coming back out?
It looks as though it is showing itself a little more each week! Still maybe centimeters but definitely exposing itself slightly more. All my RFAs take adjustment to and stay in the shade a few weeks than start coming out. The red maxi looks healthy and colorful though. Although it may have lost some size but I can’t tell as it’s not fully opening under the rock crevice.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look who finally decided to make their first appearance this morning! No longer wants to be Emo.. For 2-3 months in the shade it doesn't look that bad! Definitely lost some color but hopefully that will bounce back now I can feed it and the anemone can get some light. Super pumped I actually get to see it now. It moved to the back side of the peninsula though and the glass is tough to clean as it is under the frag rack.

Attachments

• cgefagf.jpg
    cgefagf.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 36

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back