Catching a 6 line !!

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, would like to hear from anyone that’s successfully caught a 6 line out of their tank. How you did it and how long it took. I’ve tried the diy water bottle trap…he wouldnt go near it ! Just ordered a trap from tankmatez, but have my doubts. But I gotta try something, this thing is just a butt head and HAS to go !

Thanks for any tips or tricks…and draining my tank is not an option or nets…too much rock work and corals.

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never had to catch any fish in saltwater yet, but in fresh water what I did was try draining the water a bit so the fish has less hiding spots yk. then just try going in with a net. another thing you could try is draining some water, then pooring some water from a container into the tank where the fish is to sort of "flush" the fish out and then quickly grab it with a net. havent tried this method yet, just came up with it while writing lol.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never had to catch any fish in saltwater yet, but in fresh water what I did was try draining the water a bit so the fish has less hiding spots yk. then just try going in with a net. another thing you could try is draining some water, then pooring some water from a container into the tank where the fish is to sort of "flush" the fish out and then quickly grab it with a net. havent tried this method yet, just came up with it while writing lol.
Catching a six line with a net AINT gonna happen…dang thing is lightning fast and goes to rocks. Too many corals as well…

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, would like to hear from anyone that’s successfully caught a 6 line out of their tank. How you did it and how long it took. I’ve tried the diy water bottle trap…he wouldnt go near it ! Just ordered a trap from tankmatez, but have my doubts. But I gotta try something, this thing is just a butt head and HAS to go !

Thanks for any tips or tricks…and draining my tank is not an option or nets…too much rock work and corals.
Hi,Six line wrasse like some other wrasses sleep in a mucus cocoon. Mine sleeps in the same spot every night, if you can shine a torch around and find it at night you might have a chance to net it with a small net. Good luck!

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching a six line with a net AINT gonna happen…dang thing is lightning fast and goes to rocks. Too many corals as well…
hahaha ok, ive never had one so im not too familiar with them. maybe if you can try pumping water into the place it is hiding using like a water pump with a hose in your next water change so that he is forced out?

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha ok, ive never had one so im not too familiar with them. maybe if you can try pumping water into the place it is hiding using like a water pump with a hose in your next water change so that he is forced out?
….and then it becomes a chasing game…which I’ll lose !

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've done in the past is put the net in the tank and put food inside it (Fish are really stupid) and they fell for it
Ever with a wrasse though ? These guys are very smart and verrrry leary of anything new

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,Six line wrasse like some other wrasses sleep in a mucus cocoon. Mine sleeps in the same spot every night, if you can shine a torch around and find it at night you might have a chance to net it with a small net. Good luck!
I never see my six line at night. He hides under rocks.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just took apart whole old tank to get fish out. Had to take out all rock to get it. Good luck

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had lots of success with my old AquaMedic fish trap and lots of patience. Caught pretty much everything in the reef at one time or another, the last to I had to move were a Foxface Lo and a Koran Angel. The six line made numerous "inspection runs" through the baited trap. Don't know if you can still find them online.
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started out I had a wrasse, clowns, eels, tangs, and cardinals. It worked for everything
Good to here…encouraging ! You remember how long it took for the wrasse ? Did you use mysis for bait ?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. In my Reefer 250. I was actually after my African Flameback that was picking on my new Scoly but caught all fish in the tank including my 6 line. The flame back was the hardest to catch. He actually hid in the rock with no water and didn't come out until I started adding water back. I did drain it all the way to the bottom. Took about an hour but he had to go, The Flameback resides in my RS 900 now. Good luck.

20210621_115749.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen some use fishing hook tied to piece of line and food on hook and just hook it out.
If not willing to move rocks/corals etc then need patience and just try when you can but if starts hiding in rocks step back a little and let him relax a little.
Good luck with catching

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had lots of success with my old AquaMedic fish trap and lots of patience. Caught pretty much everything in the reef at one time or another, the last to I had to move were a Foxface Lo and a Koran Angel. The six line made numerous "inspection runs" through the baited trap. Don't know if you can still find them online.
Cheers,
Ray :cool:
I saw this as well…was a toss up between this and the one I just ordered…patience may be my downfall here…spent most of Sunday afternoon watching the stupid diy bottle trick fail miserably…or was it my Impatience….hmmm

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. In my Reefer 250. I was actually after my African Flameback that was picking on my new Scoly but caught all fish in the tank including my 6 line. The flame back was the hardest to catch. He actually hid in the rock with no water and didn't come out until I started adding water back. I did drain it all the way to the bottom. Took about an hour but he had to go, The Flameback resides in my RS 900 now. Good luck.

20210621_115749.jpg
I have the same tank and about the same amount of corals…did it hurt your corals being exposed like that for that long ? The flasher wrasse in upper right is one of his ‘victims’…the other leopard wrasse is still in hiding in the sand…thx to butthead !
5471A7A9-91CD-4544-A4BA-679F9CB11FB7.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back