Anyone have any luck catching a sohal tang in a 265 gallon tank

Basically asking what fish trap works the best for a 5 inch tang

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Agree with Flipper Most likely a large acrylic box trap . In my experience, they work very well.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck with larger fish, particularly those that don’t sleep in the rock work, by catching them a few hours after lights out. I’m not sure how feasible it is with a tank that large, though. I black out my tank for a few hours, then turn the lights on. Fish are dazed and easily netted at that point.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip, what I recommend doing is mounting the trap and leaving the door off of it for a few days and then add a suction cup clip with seaweed/nori to the inside bottom of the trap near the entrance. This will encourage it to go up there. Each day move the clip further back inside the trap and then when it gets comfortable going all the way in, add the door and then trap. Takes a few days but it is effective. I used this method on my butthead of a Yellow Tang and it worked great.

OP
OP
R

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thanks will try that. Only thing is I have 12 tangs. You know I am going to catch the wrong one over and over

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thanks will try that. Only thing is I have 12 tangs. You know I am going to catch the wrong one over and over

That's the advantage of leaving the door off. What I would do is get them comfortable enough to feed from it and then I would pop the trap door at an angle in the slider for the door to keep it propped open, wait for the desired fish to swim in and then simply tap the door and have it shut on them.

OP
OP
R

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the advantage of leaving the door off. What I would do is get them comfortable enough to feed from it and then I would pop the trap door at an angle in the slider for the door to keep it propped open, wait for the desired fish to swim in and then simply tap the door and have it shut on them.

Thanks I’ll try that makes sense

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, fat fish are the easiest to catch lol. Drop some food in and they go right for it. When they’re eating from the surface, get one big swoop with the net and cross your fingers. Sometimes it may take a few tries, but almost always works well for me.

OP
OP
R

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I can catch 7 of my fish that was. This sohal tang s imply wont come to the top but I’ll keep trying that

My blonde naso and my blue throat trigger I catch all day

Also my melanurus wrasse I can catch easily. He tends to follow me around looking for pods

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back