Cave design for Royal Gramma

BelleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a royal gramma next week and want to build a cave out of rocks for it since I heard they like caves. Do they prefer caves with 1 opening, or a pass through kind with 2 openings? Also if anyone has any royal gramma observations about what kind of rockwork they like to hang out in/around I would appreciate it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas will find caves you didn’t know existed in the rockwork. There isn’t really a set rule for what they prefer as long as the fish can get in and out and feels comfortable in it.
Stack the rocks in a natural method, leaving plenty of cave options, and the fish will pick one (or a few) to call home.
Also, make sure it can’t get into the filter - I had one who thought that would make a good cave…lost him for a week lol

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a lovely cave for a Royal Gramma, but when I bought one he wouldn't go near it. He lives under a rather large arch (which he shares with a Onespot Foxface), while the purpose built cave is now occupied by two fire shrimps and assorted snails & hermits. :rolleyes:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others, I wouldnt put too much effort into it. My RG just stays up against the back wall all day behind a rock. The fish will be happy with whatever little holes it can find.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a royal gramma next week and want to build a cave out of rocks for it since I heard they like caves. Do they prefer caves with 1 opening, or a pass through kind with 2 openings? Also if anyone has any royal gramma observations about what kind of rockwork they like to hang out in/around I would appreciate it.
You’ll most likely find all fish prefer caves with several exits and entrances. If you think about them in the wild then you’ll realise that a one way cave is inefficient. This is due to if there’s a predator then they can’t escape, if there’s several exits (3+) then they can get out through several ways if there’s any predators in two or three of the exits then they have other choices to escape through and don’t get cornered.

This is where I find the “wall” scape to be extremely effective.
This is my 3’x16” nano and in this is 8 fish.
All of the caves in this rock scape have several exits and are connected (Somehow - I didn’t think they were however the three pink streaks disagree).
9CB03907-82C5-47D9-B16A-9E413FAE8402.jpeg

232F72CD-24DE-4768-9996-182A44AFA992.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of caves but one of my pieces of live rock has an arch cave with 2 openings. That is where my royal gramma likes to sleep. During the day he/she is mostly out and about.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back