Royal Gramma concern

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a Royal Gramma about 2 weeks ago. I heard they can have unique behaviors, but im becoming concerned because I never see it swim.

When I first got it, it spent about a week hiding in this little cave. It eventually got evicted from this cave by a pom pom crab and now just chills on the sandbed in random places. The only time I'd ever see it swim was the first week, and just to move up quickly to grab a piece of food then. Now it will just shift to grab food along the bottom of the tank. Should I be concerned?

20230926_202255.jpg

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not kept RGs personally, but that looks to me like a very young (fragile) fish. Being unable to establish a home base, take some cover, and relax I’d wager is detrimental to its overall health. Moving tanks is stressful enough. I’d be incline to separate that little guy if he’s not getting himself established in your system. Maybe a safe calm section of your sump? Or set up a quarantine tank with some lower flow and nice hiding places and see if he regains his gumption.

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not kept RGs personally, but that looks to me like a very young (fragile) fish. Being unable to establish a home base, take some cover, and relax I’d wager is detrimental to its overall health. Moving tanks is stressful enough. I’d be incline to separate that little guy if he’s not getting himself established in your system. Maybe a safe calm section of your sump? Or set up a quarantine tank with some lower flow and nice hiding places and see if he regains his gumption.
This is a small 20 gallon tank with no sump. The thing is that there are other cave areas and places to hide which i saw it hiding in at different points before finding the cave it liked. And because of my apartment situation, I don't have the capability to have a seperate tank.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a small 20 gallon tank with no sump. The thing is that there are other cave areas and places to hide which i saw it hiding in at different points before finding the cave it liked. And because of my apartment situation, I don't have the capability to have a seperate tank.
Well, if it continues to eat and isn’t being harassed by anyone maybe it has a shot to regain some strength. I don’t know if I’ve seen one that (seemingly) small before.
As I said, I’ve never kept one personally so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it continues to eat and isn’t being harassed by anyone maybe it has a shot to regain some strength. I don’t know if I’ve seen one that (seemingly) small before.
As I said, I’ve never kept one personally so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
The reason for the size I age. All the RG at the store were that size. I was told they were all juvenile and tank raised versus wild caught. So in time it would grow to a standard size. I do see it eating. It's just that it doesn't swim like, at all. Hopefully it will start to on time

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there,
The RG needs a more natural environment with a place to hide. These guys are found along rock ledges and rock overhangs. Sounds like the clown is bullying it out into the open on the sand. I’d add hiding places to reduce its stress.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be worth picking up a breeder drop in type thing, at least to separate him internally in the tank, throw some rubble in it too.
Others can chime in if this seems reasonable.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree something is off with the fish, sitting on the sand like that is not normal RG behavior. There should be caves and hiding spots for it. Also make sure there is no bullying going on. Make sure your tank has proper flow and oxigination.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back