OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY!!! Y'ALL DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

Until a few days ago, I was using a specialty glass cleaner for the outside of my tank. I would spray on a microfiber cloth in another room, then come to the tank and wipe the glass. The results were ok, but I still was not getting the invisible look I was going for.

A few days back my grandfather was telling me about a new cleaner he found called invisible glass, said it was too good to be true. So I went to the store and not only did I find the invisible glass spray, I also found it in disposable wipes, meaning no more worry of spraying chemicals into the tank!

The product is called Invisible Glass and it is unreal. I had some friends over the other day and they saw the tank for the first time ever. I kid you not, their first question was not about the tank or any of the cool fish or corals, it was them asking how I managed to get my glass so perfectly clean.

Try it out!

IMG_7210.JPG

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nothing really to update here. Everything is chugging along smoothly. @Rick.45cal once told me to enjoy these moments of peace because they come and go in the hobby. So right now I am not stressing about the tank, I am not planning any upgrades, I am simply doing what little routine maintenance I need (have not tested since rebuild) and enjoying the peace and serenity.

I have been slowly removing sand from the tank since the goby made a mountain that peaked about 10" high (no joke).

Also, here is one of my pups out on the lake in a lifejacket. This is sorta water related right???

IMG_3623.JPG

Finally, I would really like to get scuba certified and see these creatures that we keep in our homes in their natural environment.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, tank is still chugging along, super low maintenance, loving life.

I might have to separate the ricordia from the rest of the zoas, it has over grown them and is blocking light. Any suggestions?

Here is a funny story for today (tank related)-

I am in Alaska for a few days and yesterday there was an earthquake here. Today I went to a local restaurant and one of the chefs was talking about how he has 5 fish tanks, and they were starting to fall off their stands during the earthquake, but he was able to keep them from falling off. He than began to explain how he hadn't topped off water to one of the patrons and explained how they lose so much water due to evaporation. He then mentioned that he keeps his tanks AT 90 DEGREES and that is why they evaporate so fast............

I didn't get into a discussion further with him..... maybe I should have lol.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today was quite the stressful day for the tank.

First things first, I removed the ricordia that was growing over a patch of zoas, blocking lighting and stopping growth. I have never fragged before, so I am very nervous that I killed something.

Next, I added 2 corals, and Acan and something that almost looks like a montipora, but seems to encrust more instead of plate. I will need some help identifying once I can get some pictures.

Finally, I added an anemone for my clown!

Pictures to come!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so today I also did my first testing in months, as I have been going for stability and approaching reef keeping by the health of what is inside, over numbers. That being said,I still think it is important to test every now and then. Since I started my journey, I have always struggled with high nitrates, maybe I should try another test kit?

Here are my parameters from todays test.

Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 77 Degrees F
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 80

Last time I chased nitrates, things went downhill. Do you guys think I should just roll with it or try to lower?

Also, I fed Reef Roids for the first time ever today. I believe I might have over done it, I will check nitrates again in a few days to see if maybe that was a residual from overfeeding today.

Finally, I got to watch my new anemone move itself. I have never seen one move in person and it is crazy! Unfortunately, it is moving away from where I would like it to live.... we will see what happens.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME if the color is right, you have growth and nothing looks stressed, leave it alone.

BTW, the frogspawn colony yours came from split itself over the weekend. I now have the colony and three big frags of it in the 93.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME if the color is right, you have growth and nothing looks stressed, leave it alone.

BTW, the frogspawn colony yours came from split itself over the weekend. I now have the colony and three big frags of it in the 93.
That frogspawn you gave me now has 4 heads, it is growing like crazy!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the worst part about splitting up the ricordia and zoas/adding new corals is that they are closed up and adjusting to their new environment. I am so on edge right now that I did something wrong and the whole tank will crash lol.

I might need some encouragement to get through the next few days of acclimation and not drive myself crazy! Worst part is that I left for a trip this morning, so we will see how everything looks when I get back!

Overnight the anemone moved into a hole that is in the side of my rock, facing away from the front glass so I cannot really see him. That, plus retracting at night has me on edge.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the worst part about splitting up the ricordia and zoas/adding new corals is that they are closed up and adjusting to their new environment. I am so on edge right now that I did something wrong and the whole tank will crash lol.

I might need some encouragement to get through the next few days of acclimation and not drive myself crazy! Worst part is that I left for a trip this morning, so we will see how everything looks when I get back!

Overnight the anemone moved into a hole that is in the side of my rock, facing away from the front glass so I cannot really see him. That, plus retracting at night has me on edge.
New nems so weird things while they adjust.

As for zoas and shrooms, I have fragged in the tank numerous times. Zoas, as long as you didn’t bust a ton of polyps, you will be done. Shrooms, I cut them in the tank and have had 0 issues with the tank. Lost a few I cut wrong, but never any ill effects on the tank from cutting them.

To make you feel better, zoas and shrooms when split or cut always act ticked off for a few days in my tanks. Heck you cut me up, I would be mad longer lol

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, @ccombs, how are you doing?
So much better. I still have moments where I don't feel like I am functioning 100% mentally and quickly get frustrated, and my back is slowly but surely healing. My mid back is just stiff all the time now, not necessarily in pain like it was. I think the worst part is that the stiffness wraps around to my ribs so it hurts to breathe haha.

I think that by the end of the year I should be pretty close to 100%. I have been surrounded by great doctors and a supportive wife as I slowly heal.

Being physically and mentally limited really discouraged me for awhile, but between my wife, friends and the community on here that has supported me, I feel like I am slowly getting my old life back.

I honestly wish I could meet the guy who hit me. Not to sue, not to yell or scream, but to simply explain to him how his actions and irresponsibility really affected me for such a long time. Trying to continue working while being in such mental and physical pain is tough enough. Keeping up with doctors bills, insurance paperwork, lawyer paperwork, etc. has practically been a second job on top of the regular work.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much better. I still have moments where I don't feel like I am functioning 100% mentally and quickly get frustrated, and my back is slowly but surely healing. My mid back is just stiff all the time now, not necessarily in pain like it was. I think the worst part is that the stiffness wraps around to my ribs so it hurts to breathe haha.

I think that by the end of the year I should be pretty close to 100%. I have been surrounded by great doctors and a supportive wife as I slowly heal.

Being physically and mentally limited really discouraged me for awhile, but between my wife, friends and the community on here that has supported me, I feel like I am slowly getting my old life back.

I honestly wish I could meet the guy who hit me. Not to sue, not to yell or scream, but to simply explain to him how his actions and irresponsibility really affected me for such a long time. Trying to continue working while being in such mental and physical pain is tough enough. Keeping up with doctors bills, insurance paperwork, lawyer paperwork, etc. has practically been a second job on top of the regular work.
Glad to hear you are doing better. I have been in your shoes with back issues, not the same circumstances, but it still sucks. Not being able to do simple things is a huge kick in the brain, mentally. Just remember, when you think you are useless, you aren’t. That is the best advise I was given when I was laid up. It sounds simple, but I woke up and told myself that, everyday. Eventually I started to believe it, as it was true. It just took telling myself that, and not everyone else.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo..... I bought some more zoas and another ricordia. Here are all the pics. Sorry for blurry/dirty pictures, I made a mess in the tank mounting these and sand is everywhere.

First, the anemone. He didn't like where I originally placed him, so he moved to a spot where you literally cannot see him from the front glass. I moved him to another spot and he seems to enjoy it.

IMG_3805.jpg

Next, the Acan.

IMG_3806.jpg

Here is the Ricordia I bought today.

IMG_3807.jpg

Here is the original ricordia I fragged. It is now about 1/4 of the size it was and accidentally detached and ended up in a hole in the rock. I fished it out and put it on a plug today.

IMG_3808.jpg

Here is the clump of zoas I got today. As you can see, they are still opening.

IMG_3809.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nothing really to update here. Everything is chugging along smoothly. @Rick.45cal once told me to enjoy these moments of peace because they come and go in the hobby. So right now I am not stressing about the tank, I am not planning any upgrades, I am simply doing what little routine maintenance I need (have not tested since rebuild) and enjoying the peace and serenity.

I have been slowly removing sand from the tank since the goby made a mountain that peaked about 10" high (no joke).

Also, here is one of my pups out on the lake in a lifejacket. This is sorta water related right???

IMG_3623.JPG

Finally, I would really like to get scuba certified and see these creatures that we keep in our homes in their natural environment.
I haven't scuba for years, but do remember everything hugh down there

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, sorry you’re still hurting. Hopefully the healing will continue (at an accelerated pace). I kind of know the feeling, I’ve been struggling with pain for last couple years for various reasons. Physical therapy and strength training has done wonders for my recovery, though it was a horrible experience for a very long time. You’ll get there, just keep doing what you are supposed to be doing. Somewhere along the process you’ll realize that your strength is an inspiration to someone who likely needs it more than you. ;)

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fragged Ricordia detached from the plug again, haven't recovered him yet, we will see what happens.

Here is a FTS as my lights are getting darker as well as some photos of the new corals now that they are opening up. Also attached is a picture of the maybe Monti frag.

IMG_3813.jpg
IMG_3814.jpg
IMG_3815.jpg
IMG_3816.jpg
IMG_3810.jpg

Back