Chalices Back from the Dead?

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

i got a bunch of chalices a few months back in October.
In Nov or ecember i was having horrible Alk swings and it wiped out some zoas and acro's i had like 12 acro frags all die out. I also lost alot of chalices or so i thought.

End of Jan i bought a octopus Ca reactor cause i got really frustrated in dosing 2 part and bascically screwing it up and causing alk swings that lead to all the death. so with like 12 or so totally white chalices, i took them off the frag rack and put them under. i just couldnt bring myself to toss them out of the tank. after a few weeks after dialing in the reactor i noticed some of my chalices actually getting some color to them. at first i thought it was just algae or dirt on the dead frags, but no it was actually color. i was floored. so most of the dead chalices are coming back to life and almost looking good! i couldnt believe it. i was having 2nd thoughts about dropping the money for the reactor, but it was worth every penny. i got back enough chalices i think to pay for the reactor when they fully heal.

sorry for the long story. i just wanted to share my chalice recovery story. has anyone have this happen to them? i never thought once a chalice totally bleached it was able to recover. i thought it was totally dead.

I mean all these chalices were bone white and now they are coloring up again. too bad for all my acro's i lost are not hardy like my chalices. i wish i had some pics of when they were white to show the color they got back now.

I will go snap a pic or 2 of some coloring up.

acronautical

acronautical
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my duel chamber Octopus Ca Reactor. I think it is an underrated, solidly built unit. The screw on tops are nice and are built like tanks. I could not find the right alkalinity balance with my 150 sps tank until I dialed in the Ca reactor.

kungfujoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somethng similar happen to me.. i turned one of my pumps and forgot to put it back.. so 1800 gph was on my bazooka joe chalice..over night it turned all black and brown.. it took nearly 2 months for it o color back up fully.. but i thought it wasnt goig to make it...

cay85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really need a ca reactor also. i am not so much worried about the price, as i am being able to figure out how to set it up. i have been thinking about getting the dual chamber mrc ca reactor.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back