Changes during fallow

  • Thread starter Thread starter jd371
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2015
Messages
2,119
Reaction score
2,113
Location
Long Island, New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on pulling all the fish from the DT this weekend and going fallow because of Ich. I wasn't too happy with the aquascape or sand I used so I want to make changes while the tank is fallow.
At first I thought about removing all the Oolite sand and replacing it, but I think I'm going to remove an inch of the Oolite and just add the coarser sand over it. What's the best way to go about this and what precautions should I take because of the coral and CUC?
 
How big of a tank? I'd take a small section of sand out daily and do this over a week (depends on how long tank has been up). Use a funnel and PVC when adding the new.
 
If you think you can do it fairly quickly (couple hours or so), I would just have some buckets or a big tub ready. Remove all the rock, coral, etc. and put in the tub or buckets then siphon enough water from the tank to cover it. Throw a heater and a powerhead in then get to work on the sand.
 
The tank is a 75gal that's been up and running 10 months now. I'm just worried about the 2 nems, coral, and CUC that's in there when I start stirring up the sand. The SB is about 2" deep.
 
The tank is a 75gal that's been up and running 10 months now. I'm just worried about the 2 nems, coral, and CUC that's in there when I start stirring up the sand. The SB is about 2" deep.

I don't think 10 months is enough time for anything too dangerous to be built up in the sand bed. You should be fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new