Changing flow created chaos, maybe?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long story short, I changed two of mp40's to gyres for better flow for my sps and it seemed to have created some chaos and my C. isosceles has paid the price for it. First, a few fish reacted to the change instantly, mainly my foxface and two of my wrasses (line-spot & pintail). The foxface (in true foxface fashion) freaked out and hid against the back wall for half a day, the line-spot and pintail hid among the rockwork. After a while it seemed to be okay and everyone seem to come out and hang in their usual spots, except the pintail. He stayed among the rocks and when he appeared, he looked like crap. Bites taken from his dorsal fin and one of his pectoral fins. I noticed the line-spot go after him and not let up. The line-spot is the dominant wrasse in the tank, but he would never go after the pintail, just flash and zoom like crazy, until now. It almost seemed as if the yellow tang went after him too, but I haven't confirmed it yet. I was able to catch the pintail and put him in an acclimation box to keep him safe, but I'm not sure what to do next? I would love to catch the line-spot and re-home him to a larger tank where he's not in charge, but catching him may not be an option without destroying my tank in the process?
Anyone else experience an overall change when altering something in the tank as simple as flow?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back