Chocolate chip seastar... hairy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter elfda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

elfda

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2016
Messages
278
Reaction score
245
Location
Everett, WA, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I noticed that the ccss at work used to "fluff up" after water changes, and sometimes after feeding, it would... fluff up? All these tiny hairs? I got photos, like a boss.

20161010_151212.jpeg


It would also evert its stomach on the glass, if it hadn't had much to eat that day (especially if I'd had my hands in the tank; it seemed to know the taste/scent of Food Giver).
20161022_185722.jpeg


Seastars are weird.

Ate great, even tried to stick its stomach through a plastic divider to get to snails next door. (I use past tense, because after being in the store more than a year, it finally sold.)

So... do they have hairs? Setae? Why do they fluff? Have any of you seen this behavior before?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new