tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I was hoping to get some opinions/tips and what fish I should get and how to keep one. (Although I’ve done hours and hours of research on my own for each of these.)
So far my top choices are:
Peacock mantis shrimp (top choice always wanted one)

Mudskipper

Largemouth bass (I know it’s not salt water but any help on deciding would be great.)

Peacock bass

If any has any of these or multiple, I’d love to know which one would be the funnest/best one. Cost (especially) for setup and yearly (food, supply’s, ect.) and maintenance/difficulty to keep are both in mind. Any tips and suggestions would be great! I’m open to other fish as-well but these have been my main choices for years.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I was hoping to get some opinions/tips and what fish I should get and how to keep one. (Although I’ve done hours and hours of research on my own for each of these.)
So far my top choices are:
Peacock mantis shrimp (top choice always wanted one)

Mudskipper

Largemouth bass (I know it’s not salt water but any help on deciding would be great.)

Peacock bass

If any has any of these or multiple, I’d love to know which one would be the funnest/best one. Cost (especially) for setup and yearly (food, supply’s, ect.) and maintenance/difficulty to keep are both in mind. Any tips and suggestions would be great! I’m open to other fish as-well but these have been my main choices for years.
mantis shrimps from my understanding can kill fish, but Ill let someone who has them pipe in on their experiance. And for your fish you would need to figure out what size tank and that will help others pipe in with suggestions!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mantis shrimps from my understanding can kill fish, but Ill let someone who has them pipe in on their experiance. And for your fish you would need to figure out what size tank and that will help others pipe in with suggestions!
Yea I know they kill fish. I don’t plan on keeping others with the mantis shrimp if I get it, besides maybe a fast fish I’ve seen be used as tank mates. For tank size, I’m gonna buy a new one. So I’m open to anything! 300 gallons would probably be the biggest I could fit but if I need bigger I’m sure I could manage. Very expensive for bigger tanks though.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know they kill fish. I don’t plan on keeping others with the mantis shrimp if I get it, besides maybe a fast fish I’ve seen be used as tank mates. For tank size, I’m gonna buy a new one. So I’m open to anything! 300 gallons would probably be the biggest I could fit but if I need bigger I’m sure I could manage. Very expensive for bigger tanks though.
Oh yeah okay if its that big you can really add whatever! I was thinking you wanted a small tank which would be issues with the mantis! Fast tank mates would be tangs for sure! The large angels are fast when they want to be, so is a foxface! Triggers as well!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah okay if its that big you can really add whatever! I was thinking you wanted a small tank which would be issues with the mantis! Fast tank mates would be tangs for sure! The large angels are fast when they want to be, so is a foxface! Triggers as well!
Thank you, I actually already have a 40 gallon tank since I planned on getting one. It was expensive for the yearly cost of saltwater which is why I hesitated, was hoping for some suggestion on here to help me make my decision. Thank you for the tank mate suggestion. All those sound good and I’ve heard damsel do well too.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I actually already have a 40 gallon tank since I planned on getting one. It was expensive for the yearly cost of saltwater which is why I hesitated, was hoping for some suggestion on here to help me make my decision. Thank you for the tank mate suggestion. All those sound good and I’ve heard damsel do well too.
Yeah the hobby is pricey to start up with your sand, rocks, and salt depending on size of the tank! And fish are expensive as well as corals. I think its worth it though, Ive got a 125 and a 70 gallon. Just looking at all my fish and corals makes it worth it to me! And once you set up the tank and get a RODI machine and salt, that saves money too and you dont need much salt only for water changes! I got my big tank from FB market place near me, you should look you might find a good deal like I did! The tank is really the most expensive part. But for corals and fish you can always pick less expensive ones. Their food costs are not bad, I use frozen and pellets for my tanks! Hope that answers your questions! The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and keep water quality!

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the hobby is pricey to start up with your sand, rocks, and salt depending on size of the tank! And fish are expensive as well as corals. I think its worth it though, Ive got a 125 and a 70 gallon. Just looking at all my fish and corals makes it worth it to me! And once you set up the tank and get a RODI machine and salt, that saves money too and you dont need much salt only for water changes! I got my big tank from FB market place near me, you should look you might find a good deal like I did! The tank is really the most expensive part. But for corals and fish you can always pick less expensive ones. Their food costs are not bad, I use frozen and pellets for my tanks! Hope that answers your questions! The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and keep water quality!
You could always set up your 40 with the mantis you want and damsels, they are fast colorful and cheap. Also mean to other fish! But then you could see if you want to do the upkeep and upgrade (I did this with a 70) and I got hooked! Your 40 is a good tank to get your feet wet!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yea I’m realizing the costs more and more. I already have a tank, protein skimmer, and heater. FB marketplace is a savior! I’ve been looking a an RODI system on there for months and haven’t found a decent one. Thank you for the help, the food and price saltwater makes me feel much better!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always set up your 40 with the mantis you want and damsels, they are fast colorful and cheap. Also mean to other fish! But then you could see if you want to do the upkeep and upgrade (I did this with a 70) and I got hooked! Your 40 is a good tank to get your feet wet!
Yea i don’t think I’d “upgrade” the 40 seems plenty big for the shrimp from what I’ve read. Once I’m into it maybe I’ll get another tank though? My wallet is crying at the thought of it but thank you!

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yea I’m realizing the costs more and more. I already have a tank, protein skimmer, and heater. FB marketplace is a savior! I’ve been looking a an RODI system on there for months and haven’t found a decent one. Thank you for the help, the food and price saltwater makes me feel much better!
For an RO machine check out bulk reef supply! I got their basic and most inexpensive one and it works really well!
Yea i don’t think I’d “upgrade” the 40 seems plenty big for the shrimp from what I’ve read. Once I’m into it maybe I’ll get another tank though? My wallet is crying at the thought of it but thank you!
Yeah some get rid of their old tank. I still have my first one up and running as a predatory tank! I just got a bigger one off FB! Thats more what I was suggesting haha. Im so happy with both of them!

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an RO machine check out bulk reef supply! I got their basic and most inexpensive one and it works really well!

Yeah some get rid of their old tank. I still have my first one up and running as a predatory tank! I just got a bigger one off FB! Thats more what I was suggesting haha. Im so happy with both of them!
Also I got my RS tank on black friday… lots of tank companies do sales. Thats the only way I got mine was with the sale! So maybe hold out and look then for a bigger tank? I do think you would have a lot of fun setting your 40 up with your shrimp!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The cheap one I heard you have to replace the stuff in it more often, so I think a better one would be a good investment

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I got my RS tank on black friday… lots of tank companies do sales. Thats the only way I got mine was with the sale! So maybe hold out and look then for a bigger tank? I do think you would have a lot of fun setting your 40 up with your shrimp!
I’m leaning towards the shrimp so I don’t think I’ll need a bigger one, maybe a 60 but I think I’ll be okay for it.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheap one I heard you have to replace the stuff in it more often, so I think a better one would be a good investment
Yeah thats true but the one I got cheap has over 10k into equipment as the guy just wanted out of the hobby! Maybe you could find that around you too if you choose to get a bigger tank down the road!
I’m leaning towards the shrimp so I don’t think I’ll need a bigger one, maybe a 60 but I think I’ll be okay for it.
And yeah the 40 should be okay with the shrimp, they get to be like 7 inches I read. That would be a cool nano tank with your shrimp!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tc8421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats true but the one I got cheap has over 10k into equipment as the guy just wanted out of the hobby! Maybe you could find that around you too if you choose to get a bigger tank down the road!

And yeah the 40 should be okay with the shrimp, they get to be like 7 inches I read. That would be a cool nano tank with your shrimp!
Wow, yea i haven’t found anything under $1000 with all the equipment, finding something with a sump would be awesome but I don’t think it’s in my budget unless I got a good deal.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, yea i haven’t found anything under $1000 with all the equipment, finding something with a sump would be awesome but I don’t think it’s in my budget unless I got a good deal.
Yeah these aquariums are expensive for sure, I only got mine because i got good deals on them! Keep your eye out one thats good for you will pop up!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 166 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back