Christmas Tree Worm Coral

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I purchased this amazing Christmas Tree Worm Coral. It's truly one of the coolest animals/corals I have ever kept. It looks great from a distance but when you come closer you start seeing so much more. Small hermit crabs, the numerous Bisma worms, the coral, and so many other critters. Full of life!

Have you ever kept a Christmas Tree Worm Coral? What was your experience and do you have any tips?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had one years ago and someone gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I sort of regret selling it.
For the most part, they filter feed. Once a week, I blew off the rock with gentle bursts from a turkey baster

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I purchased this amazing Christmas Tree Worm Coral. It's truly one of the coolest animals/corals I have ever kept. It looks great from a distance but when you come closer you start seeing so much more. Small hermit crabs, the numerous Bisma worms, the coral, and so many other critters. Full of life!

Have you ever kept a Christmas Tree Worm Coral? What was your experience and do you have any tips?

WOW! Very impressive, great photography. How do you keep your aquarium so clean? How old is your system?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt content with the porites I picked up on Saturday right up to the point I watched your video!
"I am not worthy!" ;)

DSC_0010 (2) (1024x683).jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them a few times over the years. Host coral is usually porities, but it is sometimes cyphastrea (the one in the video). Neither coral is particularly difficult to keep as long as your system is SPS friendly. The fan worms do need fine particulate foods. If you have fan worms thriving in your system already, then you are probably already good. Most systems with a decent fish population would 'qualify'. If not, some regular addition of foods will be required. The bigger problem, particularly with the aforementioned fish, is that the frilly worm heads are irresistible to angels and even some tangs. The worms will shed the head if it is sufficiently irritated. That won't immediately kill the worm. but if it happens repeatedly the worm will starve and die. The worms also don't like a ton of flow.

I am not able to keep them in my main display, but they do very well in my frag tank. I have one there that is almost 5 years old and both the coral and worms continue to thrive. Tank in the video looks pretty new, so that's potntially a problem. You'll need to be adding fine particulate foods.

rendenden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all my first live rock had Christmas tree worms. This was back in the early 90's when I first started. I didn't know it until the tank was completely cycled. Every color imaginable. Unfortunately they only lasted a few months.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great video and very nice piece!

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used to be really cheap long time ago and not many people wanted them then... They didnt live long not much was know at the time

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one coral that I miss so badly. We would pay 20-50 bucks for a big chunk of rock back in 2001. They are just so pricey now It stinks cause I would love to have one again. Your worms look awesome! Keep them for ever
A vendor at our local frag swap a couple of weeks back had 2 pieces for sale, about fist size. $35 each. Also had a really cool colored feather duster that looked like a coco worm but its tube was soft not hard. I think it was $25. I almost bought one of the christmas tree rocks and the feather duster but went to another vendor and got a great deal on some shrooms I had been wanting and totally forgot to go back for the christmas tree rock.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vendor at our local frag swap a couple of weeks back had 2 pieces for sale, about fist size. $35 each. Also had a really cool colored feather duster that looked like a coco worm but its tube was soft not hard. I think it was $25. I almost bought one of the christmas tree rocks and the feather duster but went to another vendor and got a great deal on some shrooms I had been wanting and totally forgot to go back for the christmas tree rock.
aww man missed opportunity

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all my first live rock had Christmas tree worms. This was back in the early 90's when I first started. I didn't know it until the tank was completely cycled. Every color imaginable. Unfortunately they only lasted a few months.

The good ole days, when $5/lb rock got you rock covered in ricordia, hard corals and all kinds of interesting creatures/plants.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back