atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a pair of chromis that have been in copper power at 2.5 for the past 5 days. Knowing that chromis are very susceptible to Uronema, would the disease have shown itself by now, or is it better to start formalin or metro regardless? There is no discoloration on either of the fish, and they both readily eat and are active.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! #reefsqaud

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With chromis, I would do metroplex regardless of visible symptoms or not. It's so common with them, why chance it?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a pair of chromis that have been in copper power at 2.5 for the past 5 days. Knowing that chromis are very susceptible to Uronema, would the disease have shown itself by now, or is it better to start formalin or metro regardless? There is no discoloration on either of the fish, and they both readily eat and are active.

Since it can take time for uronema to develop (i.e. show symptoms) and once the red lesion are present - it can be much more difficult to heal/treat. If you decide to use Metroplex - you need to be careful (if added to food) - since you can't really control the dose - i.e. if the fish are not eating - they will get nothing. If one fish eats 2x as much as the other, one will be under-treated, etc etc. Additionally, if you're going to do it, I would not treat with multiple medications at the same time.

Since you asked - I would lean against treatment with metronidazole

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've seen internal Uronema show up on fish up to 40 days after acquisition (I don't recall seeing any develop it after about that time). I think the "hot spot" for showing lesions is around 7 to 14 days after acquisition, but that can vary based on how long the dealer had the fish before you got them.

Formalin works for external uronema, but not internal. I've had a bit better success using Chloroquine, but again, it doesn't do much for the internal form.

Here is an article I posted about that:

Jay

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used copper together with metro numerous times; it's not a problem. Just be sure that the water is oxygenated well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back