Clam mantle pinching

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a clam. My other clams mantle is starting to retract. Does anyone have guidance? I just added some fresh carbon, will be switching it out every two days from what I read in a different thread.

Thanks!
2B7E007D-D465-4BF0-8CDA-12BDD438E557.jpeg
9F3C3597-16AA-4015-A3E0-B5F23CAD8594.jpeg

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do check for pyramid snails, have you added and coral/inverts/rock lately?

Hope you can recover the clam.

A.

A few corals. I do use Bayer and dip before adding. I haven’t seen signs of snails. Clams are fairly new to my system, they never attached to the rock substrate I put under them.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aloud not out rule pyramid snails, they are notorious. Where did you get the clams from? I know some places are not reputable. At purchase did you visually see them in previous tank or was it an online mail order. Clams usually have new shell growth on upper most part of their shell by white new growth, did you see any? If a clam is t healthy before purchase they would usually demise rapidly. Also did you burp the clam once you placed it into your tank?

Maybe @DSC reef or @jda will chime in.

A.

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aloud not out rule pyramid snails, they are notorious. Where did you get the clams from? I know some places are not reputable. At purchase did you visually see them in previous tank or was it an online mail order. Clams usually have new shell growth on upper most part of their shell by white new growth, did you see any? If a clam is t healthy before purchase they would usually demise rapidly. Also did you burp the clam once you placed it into your tank?

Maybe @DSC reef or @jda will chime in.

A.

Pacific east, I’ve heard good things about their source. Haven’t seen much for growth but there is a little. I did burp. It has fallen over a few times as well while looking for a good spot. It’s stjll not happy with any spot I’ve put it

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see signs of pinched mantle. Hard to tell from the pic but is there any new shell growth? It looks to me that the mantle is retracting into the shell so watch for gaping. If the clam isn't attached I'd take a soft toothbrush to the shell and underneath. It could be a stress factor as well. After you clean the shell I'd keep the clam on the bottom without intervention. If a clam keeps turning on its side where you have it then it could be a flow issue or even a response from to much light from what I've read. For now I'd inspect and clean the shell then keep from moving it for some time.

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few corals. I do use Bayer and dip before adding. I haven’t seen signs of snails. Clams are fairly new to my system, they never attached to the rock substrate I put under them.

I would never dip a clam especially in Bayer.. I manually inspect and remove pest with brush.

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see signs of pinched mantle. Hard to tell from the pic but is there any new shell growth? It looks to me that the mantle is retracting into the shell so watch for gaping. If the clam isn't attached I'd take a soft toothbrush to the shell and underneath. It could be a stress factor as well. After you clean the shell I'd keep the clam on the bottom without intervention. If a clam keeps turning on its side where you have it then it could be a flow issue or even a response from to much light from what I've read. For now I'd inspect and clean the shell then keep from moving it for some time.

I cleaned off shell. I tried to take a better picture, it appears there is a little shell growth. I have been turning up my lights but I was worried I was starving him so I turned them up!
80460F36-68D2-4494-AF1F-D20E9019A1AB.jpeg
CCC5AC70-7FF8-4613-96E8-816625171448.jpeg

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never dip a clam especially in Bayer.. I manually inspect and remove pest with brush.

I didn’t dip the clams in Bayer. I did a prazipro dip (will kill polyclads), brushed and did a visual inspection. One of the clams did have an aptasia that I super glued since it was in a side scute and not easily removable. Will follow directions and leave it alone.

Any tips if it starts to gape or is that a done deal at that point?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t dip the clams in Bayer. I did a prazipro dip (will kill polyclads), brushed and did a visual inspection. One of the clams did have an aptasia that I super glued since it was in a side scute and not easily removable. Will follow directions and leave it alone.

Done deal with gaping. I would not advise dipping a clam in anything for future reference, even if it says its "safe".

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry I miss read that, I see you where talking about dipping your coral in Bayer. Personally I have never trusted dipping a clam in anything even a FW bath except in maybe a last ditch effort to save it.. I agree with gaping it’s pretty much over. Good luck with it!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you get it? Good sign it came with growth, however not a good sign it hasn't attached. Did it come attached to any gravel?

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11/30. It had a small piece. It was actually attached a few days ago. I noticed it had detached when it fell over. I know it was attached because I tried to lift it and it brought up the clam holder it was in.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd. That shouldn't have been enough to get it upset. Anything fish started picking at it can you tell?

Dawn Dababneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a clam. My other clams mantle is starting to retract. Does anyone have guidance? I just added some fresh carbon, will be switching it out every two days from what I read in a different thread.

Thanks!
2B7E007D-D465-4BF0-8CDA-12BDD438E557.jpeg
9F3C3597-16AA-4015-A3E0-B5F23CAD8594.jpeg
Clams tend to like water that’s a bit dirty so if your tanks to clean it may not get enough nutrients, also parasites especially bristle worms love to eat them from the foot up so without exposing your clam to air turn it upside down and check it’s foot. Good luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back