Clam purchase

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of getting a clam can a crocea clam be placed on the sandbed? i was looking at yourreef and they had some nice ones if not out of crocea,maxima, derosa and squamosa which one would you recommend for a beginner clam owner ive never owned a clam in the past. i have 3 of the blackbox leds below tank is 72x18x28 they are about 6 inches off the water surface and i have them running about 40% intensity

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regular liveaquaria has them
liveaquaria divers den has them
aquasd has some
pacificeastaquaculture usually has them but I think they are out of stock at the moment.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regular liveaquaria has them
liveaquaria divers den has them
aquasd has some
pacificeastaquaculture usually has them but I think they are out of stock at the moment.
thanks ill try aquasd trying to stay away from LA for the moment last batch of fish i got from them half didn't make past 2 days

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks ill try aquasd trying to stay away from LA for the moment last batch of fish i got from them half didn't make past 2 days
I hear you, but I've had good luck with stuff from ORA via Liveaquaria in the past with regards to clams.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was disappointed to learn that i introduced aiptasia into my tank via an acquired clam. (i later learned the online vendors regularly have to deal with aiptasia infestations).

do inspect it carefully and give the clam a good scrub. watch the clam carefully the first several weeks. quarantine is even better if you have the room for a spare tank.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hm aquasd only has 2" ones all ive read says to get 3" or bigger for the most success so it looks like i may have to use my credit on LA after all
If you get an ORA non - divers den then it will ship directly from ORA and you will Get a high quality specimen.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I often see 3-4" clams at the larger Petcos in my area. If they are surviving in a Petco tank they must be fairly Hardy :)

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Squamosa from yourreef three weeks ago and is already putting on new growth

34E7D3D4-7927-42D2-A6BC-4651D0237A70.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, gotta say. I have been looking for crocea for a while now. They are hard to find anymore. So, I happened to look at YourReef and saw some. Maybe the ones you were talking about. Anyway, I pulled the trigger on two crocea and one squammie.
After a little mix up on shipping date (they were wonderful about it and even sent zoas to make up for it - super nice customer service). I got them in on Wednesday. Wow. They are bigger than I though (which is good with clams) and they were out within hours of acclimation and inspection.
They are currently in my 40g carpet nem tank for isolation from my main tank for at least 10 days. Just to see how they do and be able to inspect them easier.
Here they are...
Do NOT hesitate to get them from Your Reef. I was worried a bit because i usually buy clams at swaps after I watch them for a while. I had good luck with corals from them, so at the prices, I could not resist.

crocea1.jpg crocea2.jpg squammie.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back