Clams replacing refugium as a nutrient export

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OYSTERS - Here are a few snippets I found in two YouTube videos. Both are worth a look.

OYSTERS | How It's Made:

When the farms are ready to induce oyster spawning they oscillate the temperature between 68 and 86 degrees. Unfortunately it doesn't mention the length of the oscillation.

In the early stages or rearing the larva, they are placed in a large tube that looks and functions a lot like the fluidized media reactors in our hobby. Added to the reactors is live single celled algae that is grown on the farm in large vats.

Oysters And Clams - Everything You Need To Know

Live oysters have a "shelf life" of about nine days.

Leaving oysters in ice will kill them because they start filtering the fresh water from the melting ice and die as a direct result.

If you want to keep oysters alive in your fridge put them in a dry bowl and cover the bowl with a wet towel.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking out loud... Would oyster (or clam) filtration keep ich in check in our tanks? Given the amount of water they are capable of processing, I think maybe they could...

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon tank and use multiple ATS's for nutrient export. I've noticed over the past year that I'm getting a brown/red tint to my water. I've used passive carbon in media bags but I don't totally like using it all the time and it still doesn't take all the tint from the water. Anyone think oysters could help with this situation?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is really interesting... Cant wait to hear more about it!

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still looking for any thread where someone has a clam refugium with pictures and explains how they set it up with info for those looking to do the same.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my oysters died. Found a Pea crab inside of him. I wonder if that is the cause if his death
20210116_002237.jpg

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspired by this thread, i just add one oyster to my 14gal reef tank. The lone oyster still alive so far after 1 week.
quick question, is the long string call pseudo feces that Dr.Dendrostein talking about? I saw my Rainford goby eats part of it sometimes.
FC6B8E92-6649-4964-A846-B24C66F87846.jpeg

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspired by this thread, i just add one oyster to my 14gal reef tank. The lone oyster still alive so far after 1 week.
quick question, is the long string call pseudo feces that Dr.Dendrostein talking about? I saw my Rainford goby eats part of it sometimes.

I've had 8 oysters in my system for two weeks. I haven't seen any long stringy things, but I've had this grey fluffy stuff collecting in some bowl shaped Hollywood Stunners:

Oyster Droppings.jpg

The accumulation on the left is about two inches long. I need to blow the stuff off every day or so. Could this be the pseudo feces? Maybe different species of oysters have different sorts of the stuff?

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those of you with oysters or non-photosynthetic clams in a non-NPS tank
target feed them frequently? Given other threads on filter feeders I would expect they might slowly starve in the absence of considerable feeding.

If you don’t target feed - what is the longest you have kept an oyster alive? I’m wondering if that thought is the oyster is a long term part of the tank filtration or a ”consumable” component meant to be replaced on a periodic basis.

@Dr. Dendrostein - out of curiosity with your high relative quantity of oysters do you see significant consumption of alk/Ca?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those of you with oysters or non-photosynthetic clams in a non-NPS tank
target feed them frequently? Given other threads on filter feeders I would expect they might slowly starve in the absence of considerable feeding.

If you don’t target feed - what is the longest you have kept an oyster alive? I’m wondering if that thought is the oyster is a long term part of the tank filtration or a ”consumable” component meant to be replaced on a periodic basis.

@Dr. Dendrostein - out of curiosity with your high relative quantity of oysters do you see significant consumption of alk/Ca?
My observation, oysters like corals consume alk/ca. Recently picked up some large salt water clams, couldn't pass up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210131-065618.png
    Screenshot_20210131-065618.png
    926.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20210131-065602.png
    Screenshot_20210131-065602.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 101

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 8 oysters in my system for two weeks. I haven't seen any long stringy things, but I've had this grey fluffy stuff collecting in some bowl shaped Hollywood Stunners:

Oyster Droppings.jpg

The accumulation on the left is about two inches long. I need to blow the stuff off every day or so. Could this be the pseudo feces? Maybe different species of oysters have different sorts of the stuff?

Right on! I just moved four oysters into my DT, and the oysters as well as the container I retrieved them from had lots of this stuff. I think I'll call it "shmutz".

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is an oyster's natural environment with respect to its substrate? Is it attached, semi-attached or motile? I would have bet that it was permanently attached to its substrate, but after viewing the previously mentioned Youtube video on oyster farming, it would seem to not be naturally attached to any substrate.

I'm asking because I was wondering if one could/should attach one to a rock in one's reef tank with a cyanoacrylate glue, or just let it sit on a rock or on the sand.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is an oyster's natural environment with respect to its substrate? Is it attached, semi-attached or motile? I would have bet that it was permanently attached to its substrate, but after viewing the previously mentioned Youtube video on oyster farming, it would seem to not be naturally attached to any substrate.

I'm asking because I was wondering if one could/should attach one to a rock in one's reef tank with a cyanoacrylate glue, or just let it sit on a rock or on the sand.
In my 7.5 gallon nano with 4 gallon sump. I glued one Pacific oyster in DT, 6 others in mesh bag in sump

Screenshot_20210201-091338.png

Last edited:

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we dose pyhto with oysters in the tank? From what I could find on the interweb, they only eat microalgae. I have to clean my glass every three days, which I assume is microalgae.....wonder if this is enough on it's own. I have a 180 gal tank with 4 oysters so far - just added them a couple days ago.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we dose pyhto with oysters in the tank? From what I could find on the interweb, they only eat microalgae. I have to clean my glass every three days, which I assume is microalgae.....wonder if this is enough on it's own. I have a 180 gal tank with 4 oysters so far - just added them a couple days ago.
Maybe, just keep eye on them.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking out loud... Would oyster (or clam) filtration keep ich in check in our tanks? Given the amount of water they are capable of processing, I think maybe they could...
I have like 20 fish in my aqua tank and not one of them has any disease on them. Just a thought.

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scraped some tiny clams off of oysters we have here in Louisiana. Not sure what type of oysters they are but a majority of them have tiny clams growing at the edges of their shells. If these are young oysters it’s hard to tell because their shells look completely different so I assumed they’re a type of hitchhiker clam or something like that. Either way, I dropped them in the display, they were open with a few minutes and scooted around until they found a spot to perch up. A couple made it to the edge of my rock work and have been there for a couple of months now. They’re open pretty often and have grown considerably. I’ll try to get some pictures soon.
I do have a derasa clam and it’s been growing a lot since I put it in. Depending on the size of the derasa, how much could I expect it to help with nutrient export on a 20long running a small skimmer.

Attachments

• B87C455A-19F4-4AF0-9901-F8CD811DAF83.png
    B87C455A-19F4-4AF0-9901-F8CD811DAF83.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
Back