Cleaner shrimp acting sick/weird

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

4 days ago one of my cleaner shrimp suddenly died. I noticed that he lost appetite but didn’t think much of it. 1 day later I found him death between two rocks. Didn’t really see a cause of death on the little corpse. Then 2 days ago the other shrimp started to act the same. He seems really passive, doesn’t eat and is very skittish. He also looks a bit off now. He has a white ring wrapping its middle (white ring of death?) and his intestines are white (could be of starvation). Water parameters seem fine:
Nitrate: <1
Phosphate: 0.01
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 8.3
Salinity: 1025
Alk: 7.8
Calc: 380

I also noticed that one trochus snail keeps flipping itself. I’ve found some articles which describe this behavior and that this could be a sign that the parameters are off or just random. Could just be a coincidence but I don’t know. I low key start to get a bit worried.
DFDB34B1-FCAF-45F1-898E-84E3785F850B.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi,

4 days ago one of my cleaner shrimp suddenly died. I noticed that he lost appetite but didn’t think much of it. 1 day later I found him death between two rocks. Didn’t really see a cause of death on the little corpse. Then 2 days ago the other shrimp started to act the same. He seems really passive, doesn’t eat and is very skittish. He also looks a bit off now. He has a white ring wrapping its middle (white ring of death?) and his intestines are white (could be of starvation). Water parameters seem fine:

I also noticed that one trochus snail keeps flipping itself. I’ve found some articles which describe this behavior and that this could be a sign that the parameters are off or just random. Could just be a coincidence but I don’t know. I low key start to get a bit worried.
I don’t know, but if your parameters are that low, could it not be getting enough food. Maybe try target feeding with a Turkey baster.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, but if your parameters are that low, could it not be getting enough food. Maybe try target feeding with a Turkey baster.
I feed so much, but still struggle to increase nitrates and phosphates. Recently also added some additional rock so that depletes it even more. Currently also dosing phosphates and overfeeding a sh*tloads. So, that most definitely is not it. They used to eat like pigs, and I do “target” feed them with a pipet.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I feed so much, but still struggle to increase nitrates and phosphates. Recently also added some additional rock so that depletes it even more. Currently also dosing phosphates and overfeeding a sh*tloads. So, that most definitely is not it. They used to eat like pigs, and I do “target” feed them with a pipet.
Nice problem to have I guess. I have to carbon dose to get to my numbers and they aren’t that low yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

Look at your nitrate and phosphate level and assure youre not getting false readings. Also does your tank have cyano or dino ?
Also assure salinity and temp not elevated
Traces of iodine and copper can take them down

Last edited:
OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at your nitrate and phosphate level and assure youre not getting false readings. Also does your tank have cyano or dino ?
Also assure salinity and temp not elevated
Traces of iodine and copper can take them down
I did check multiple times with red sea and Hanna. It’s something I struggle with longer. Additional test I ran:

iodine: ~0.06 ppm
Temp: 25,0 C

As of lately I do have a minor dino outbreak (small amphidinium). These are known to have low toxicity and I’ve battled them before, didn’t seem to really harm anything back then. So I’m not sure what is going on. However, the shrimp did molt this night, but still doesn’t eat and is very skittish. Could be because of the molting. The molt did contain a lot of white stuff on the inside which you can see on the picture (looks like fungus/bacterial bloom). Maybe all is good now, still the sudden death of the other shrimp and the snail behavior has me worried. I also ordered a multimeter to check for stray voltage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back