Cleaner shrimp in bad shape

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I bought a cleaner shrimp a week ago and acclimated for 30 minutes (not too long because the salinity was almost the same). My water parameters are OK (Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates less 5ppm) and I am about to make a water change with RODI today.

He started to develop a black color on its antennas that has propagated to his entire body. He is losing legs and antennas as well. He is still eating and active, one Anthias is always harassing him though.

Thanks for any help!

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.38.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.38.00 PM.png

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure what may be happening with the shrimp but the anthias picking on it can be problematic. I know shrimp will have algae grow on them some time before they molt and they are generally a bit lethargic during the molt process, but I don't believe that is the case in this situation. I would try to keep it well fed and maybe it will bounce back, sometimes they do not adjust well to new environments, especially if the LFS conditions were poor or the acclimation process was too quick.

#reefsquad, any other thoughts?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure what may be happening with the shrimp but the anthias picking on it can be problematic. I know shrimp will have algae grow on them some time before they molt and they are generally a bit lethargic during the molt process, but I don't believe that is the case in this situation. I would try to keep it well fed and maybe it will bounce back, sometimes they do not adjust well to new environments, especially if the LFS conditions were poor or the acclimation process was too quick.

#reefsquad, any other thoughts?
possibly sting marks from introduction to new coral?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are pretty tough. If we are taking bets, mine would be he is getting ready to molt? The only question I have is what are you feeding him?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Spot disease is a bacterial infection.
I went away when the shrimp molted. It returned again but went away pre-molt and never returned.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back