Cleaning detritus off live rocks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anthony123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2016
Messages
58
Reaction score
27
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have managed to keep my water parameters stable again for awhile now. I have several years of detritus build up in my live rock. I plan to use a power head to blow out the Rock and a second power head to run the tank water in a filter sock within my 30g AIO tank. Turkey baster doesn't do enough at this point. What can I expect to happen to my water chemistry after stirring up my tank this much? Going to stay away from the sand bed and I'm not ready to do another water chance because I just did one a few days ago. Thanks for the help!
 
Careful stirring up stuff in your tank. I stirred up the sand bed once trying to remove some old rocks only to cause a crash.

I'm now rocking a bare bottom tank...
 
Ok, so even if I stay away from the sand bed use caution...side note watching my blue dot jawfish excavate 1/3 of the sand bed from one side to the middle is scary. He hasn't stop and worry it can crash my tank hahah
 
Last edited:
Ok, so even if I stay away from the sand bed use caution...side note watching my blue dot jawfish excavate 1/3 of the sand bed from one side to the middle is scary. He hasn't stop and worry it can crash my tank hahah
its not that bad really. You have to have a pretty funky tank to have problembs.
fwiw I blow the rocks of pretty much every week.
 
+1

All your really doing is moving the detritus from the rocks to the water column. If something bad was going to happen with that muck I think you would have seen it by now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new