Closed Zoas

brodyquinthooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So recently, my pulsing Xenia closed up and hasn't opened since. In the past few days my zoas have closed up as well. I am having a problem with hair algae, which means that I am not feeding the corals often, as per advice from my LFS, as I don't want the corals to be choked. The water parameters are are fine. Any thoughts? #reefgang

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide specific values ie: calcium, dkh, mag if able and SG. Nitrate and Phos as well.
I do not see GHA presentation as a sign you are not feeding your corals. Sounds like he wants to sell products.
Are you using GFO or similar products.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of is too much lighting and Nutrients. Nitrates, silicates, and phosphates in your aquarium water can serve as fertilizer for GHA. Less light and water changes. Or u can always get some urchins, snails or tangs to do the job. Like Tahoe said you need water parameters to diagnose . Thx

Omarons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you keeping the lights on for ? Also 0.03 is a false reading . You are testing 0.03 AFTER coral and algea are consuming phosphate . Watch bulk reef supplies YouTube video around algea

OP
OP
brodyquinthooper

brodyquinthooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have any other corals that are showing ill-effects as well or is it only the xenia and zoas that seem to be upset?

When were ur last 2 water changes?

Do u dose?
The other corals seem fine, my last two water changes were last night and the weekend. I don't does, as I was advised that it wasn't necessary for easy corals

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce feeding to stop amount of nutrients or get better waste removal method. Also try to improve the oxygen I'm water as, the algae may be removing oxygen near corals. This is if algae is growing next to them..

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any significant pH drops due to excess people at home etc? I would give it a few more days and see if things open back up naturally. Sometimes drastic measures cause more headaches than solved ones.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back