Cloudy Copper WT

Siddogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to why my QT w Copper suddenly torn cloudy. It’s a 28 gal. Quarantine w hang on filter, power head, heater, clip on led bar light, and pvc pipe. I’ve got 2 clowns and a Leopard Star wrasse. Leopard Wrasse was ready for DT after 5 weeks looking good, eating, etc. went down to find cloudy water overnight. Quickly acclimated Wrasse to display. (Not sure if that was good or bad, but panic set in). Did 30% water change, added carbon, and Vibrant. Looks better, but still cloudy. Any thoughts as to cause and next steps?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm sorry to here about the challenges with your tank. Does the cloudiness change depending on whether or not the lights have been on? Just to make sure, based on your description it seems that it is a bare bottom tank with no skimmer and no sump.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r-gif-welcome.gif

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are having a bacteria bloom, though it’s not ideal, you can use Furan-2 and Kanaplex or spetrogram while using copper. I would also aim a power head towards the surface because if it is a bacteria bloom the bacteria will eat up the oxygen in the water.

OP
OP
Siddogg

Siddogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm sorry to here about the challenges with your tank. Does the cloudiness change depending on whether or not the lights have been on? Just to make sure, based on your description it seems that it is a bare bottom tank with no skimmer and no sump.
No change w light. Yes, bare bottom.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said it might be a bacterial bloom especially if your using vibrant potentially

Pictures if the tank might help as well.

And Welcome to R2R!!!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Vibrant in general can cause bacterial bloom? Or combined with Copper? I’ll get a few pics. Thx
Vibrant could possibly, but with copper as well I don’t know, but I’m just wondering why your using vibrant liquid in a quarantine tank ? Also carbon, unless that’s what your using to try and clear it up.

The pictures look like a slight bacterial bloom, but it could also be some form of precipitation

It’s a smallish tank so it might be worth mixing some fresh saltwater and starting again, but without the vibrant or carbon

This might help you out

Last edited:
OP
OP
Siddogg

Siddogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thx. I do have 6 golf ball sized bio balls in filter. Is this something that needs to be constantly swapped out?
I don't have any experience with bio-balls. Generally speaking, you don't want to remove anything that is serving as a surface area for your nitrifying (sp) bacteria. You see lots of posts of people undoing their cycle cleaning out canister filters or changing filter pads in a hob qt filter

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back