Cloudy Water. Fish Looking sketchy!

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm in the middle of building a 220 reef. Fish currently in 30 gallon quarantine include
2 clowns
1 yellow watchman goby
1 orange spot diamond goby
1 small blue hippo tang
1 fox face

Tank was setup and running for about 2 weeks before fish were added. Used Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and some Fritz 9 bacteria. After the ammonia went down to zero I added some more every few days to keep the bacteria alive before I added fish.

No ammonia. No Nitrite.

Fish were added on 5/14. Started adding CP on 5/18. 5ml doses gave me .25 on HANA checker. I've added 4 doses.

Water is pretty cloudy. I suspect a bacterial bloom? When I checked on the fish this morning one of the clowns was at the top of the water swimming sideways. The foxface was breathing harder than normal.

I just did a 10 gallon water change. Fish are looking better... but water is still cloudy.

My idea: Feed less for the next few days and don't add any more copper. I was feeding pretty heavy trying to get them nice and fat and full before I started medicating.

Any other ideas?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You added Cp to the DT? Cloudy water would indicate a bacterial bloom. Increase oxygen to the tank by means of a air pump and air stone.

@HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you are referring to copper power when you say CP?

Usually CP abbreviation is referring to chloroquine phosphate.

It does sound like a bacterial bloom, can you upload pics?

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have rock in the system? Any corals?
No Rock. No coral. It's a QT tank. Just a glass aquarium and some PVC. Trying to upload pics now in my post just above this but not showing up yet. You can see the QT setup in my tank build thread in my signature.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like a bacterial bloom, already good advice given. Water changes, added aeration, and reduce QT lighting if you are using any.

Make sure when you change water you are adding copper to the bucket before it is added to the tank.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Rock. No coral. It's a QT tank. Just a glass aquarium and some PVC. Trying to upload pics now in my post just above this but not showing up yet. You can see the QT setup in my tank build thread in my signature.

Good. Okay, most likely a bacterial bloom from adding the bacteria. Adding a air stone to oxygenate the water due to the bacterial bloom. Monitor closely your ammonia level in the QT.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like a bacterial bloom, already good advice given. Water changes, added aeration, and reduce QT lighting if you are using any.

Make sure when you change water you are adding copper to the bucket before it is added to the tank.
I haven't been putting copper in the water change water. I'm fine starting my 30 days over again since I literally just started 2 days ago. Figure the least amount of stress right now the better.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I added another MJ1200 and I'm using the air intake to put more bubbles in the water.

Question: How do water changes help at this point?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I added another MJ1200 and I'm using the air intake to put more bubbles in the water.
Question: How do water changes help at this point?
My guess is
You have what I assume is low oxygen levels in the water. Adding new water should add oxygen and remove some bacteria that is using up the oxygen.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is
You have what I assume is low oxygen levels in the water. Adding new water should add oxygen and remove some bacteria that is using up the oxygen.
Seems like removing bacteria would just prolong the problem... the bacteria are needed.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to strike a balance. You want the fish to live and you want certain bacteria to convert ammonia and nitrite.
When I QT my fish I change the water every 2 days. No need for any bacteria in my QT tank.

Back