Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters:
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 2.5 ppm (any ideas on how to lower this?)
dKH - 11 (196.9 ppm)
Calcium - 450 ppm
pH - 8.2

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters:
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 2.5 ppm (any ideas on how to lower this?)
dKH - 11 (196.9 ppm)
Calcium - 450 ppm
pH - 8.2
Are you certain about that phosphate?
could you take some water to the LFS to test it?
the cloves in the pic don’t look like they are deteriorating too badly. They just look mad after the trip and losing the sponge.

I bought a frag and my decorator crab decided to partially destroy it and wear some as a disguise.
My clove polyps looked like yours in the pic. Now it has quadrupled in 6 weeks and started growing on my other rocks.

if you make sure your parameters are stable I bet it recovers very quickly. Also if you see the heads poke out, feed it some reef-roids.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I try to plant in crevices instead of gluing
Some fish such as rabbits and butterflies eat these.
They desire a little nitrates in the water

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain about that phosphate?
could you take some water to the LFS to test it?
the cloves in the pic don’t look like they are deteriorating too badly. They just look mad after the trip and losing the sponge.

I bought a frag and my decorator crab decided to partially destroy it and wear some as a disguise.
My clove polyps looked like yours in the pic. Now it has quadrupled in 6 weeks and started growing on my other rocks.

if you make sure your parameters are stable I bet it recovers very quickly. Also if you see the heads poke out, feed it some reef-roids.
I’m not too sure about the phosphates, as I know API can be inaccurate. Seems that what has died is all the ones that were not attached to other cloves. The remaining ones are mostly opened and are looking pretty good. I’ll see how it turns out.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkbait
The Fluval Evo 13.5 is a good starting point but filtration, flow and lighting could use some help. Do some research on the InTank chamber #1 media basket. Use some good floss in the top chamber, a ChemiPure in the second layer and stack a bag of carbon on top of a bag of Bio Balls in the lowest chamber. Change the floss weekly and the ChemiPure and carbon monthly. Leave the Bio Balls alone.
That tank needs a power head or wave maker to eliminate dead spots.
You should also think about upgrading your lighting at some point.
The more effective you can get your filtration, the easier it will be to get (and keep) your parameters in check.
I’m sure you will get this all ironed out. We’re all here to help you succeed!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought the cloves back, and they let me swap it for another coral. Now, I have a colony of Yuma Mushrooms which are already doing much better than the cloves ever did. I plan to upgrade filtration soon, and will definitely get a wavemaker!!

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sharkbait19, How is your Yuma doing? I will tell you I had problems keeping fireworks clove polyps and could not get them to live. Now not only can I keep them alive, they are thriving! I have fragged out a bunch and traded them. I think if you are still at 0 nitrate that is probably too low. I think anywhere from 10-30 is a good number. Just my 2 cents worth!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sharkbait19, How is your Yuma doing? I will tell you I had problems keeping fireworks clove polyps and could not get them to live. Now not only can I keep them alive, they are thriving! I have fragged out a bunch and traded them. I think if you are still at 0 nitrate that is probably too low. I think anywhere from 10-30 is a good number. Just my 2 cents worth!
Thanks for asking! The Yuma is doing amazing, and is definitely a good replacement! There were a few cloves that wound up popping out of nowhere about a week after I traded the main colony in, and the ones that remain (about 2 or 3) are thriving very well so something must’ve changed. Thanks for the info! I’ll post pics of the yumas soon!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never updated the thread on the yumas. They’re doing great! Here’s a pic of a portion of the rock that has a clam on it.
46D59DC1-0203-41BC-84C0-910B2466CECE.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back