Clownfish hosting

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a single clownfish that won’t host anything. it swims around coral but mainly just travels the tank randomly. Is this normal for it to not host anything?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual. Do you have a bubbletip or other appropriate anemone in with him? Even then, some clowns just aren't interested. If you provide an anemone and then a second smaller clown of the same species, sometimes that will get them to accept the host.

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same issue. When I added a second clown fish it paired with my clown and then they both hosted a hammer coral in my tank. I've probably had 4 clown fish in the past that had no interest in hosting anything. I've had this same hammer for over 5 years.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking of getting a nem but I feel like a 15g is a bit small. Ive kept clowns all my life but I can't get them to host. Any ideas?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been wondering about this too and kinda figured its a will or won't happen kinda thing so nothing to get my hopes up for. Then I woke up thismorning for work 4 hrs before my lighting schedule starts and one of my clowns was tucked into my green BTA! As soon as I noticed it the clown shot out and went to one of the corners where they are usually at during the night hrs.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue recently in one of my tanks, I posted a video on my channel which I’ll provide here just in case this helps :) This has worked in all three of my tanks so far.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a new tactic. My get a aggressive coral and they will immediately get stung and hide in it. Works with galaxea and euyphillia

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 clowns split into 3 different tanks. A pair in one tank, and 2 in two tanks each. The pair sleeps at the corner of the tank where some of the pumps are. Its a little cozy even for me I can totally understand why they would pick that spot. One clown in the sps dominated tank, would find any where with the lowest flow to sleep, most of the time next to a leptastrea. The final clown who is the newest, immediately took a liking to my torch and my xenia. She would alternate her hosts depending on the lights. Lights on, it’s the dragon soul. Lights off, it’s the xenia. I guess she figured, why limit yourself.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back