Clownfish lost mate and clown behavior

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I have decided to get my clownfish (male) a new mate since the female died in qt. The male clown is very adventurous. The tank is around 50 gallons around 3 feet long. They are 4-5 cm .The new clown is almost the same size and when i plopped him in he old clown went straight for him but there is a lot of rock so he stopped getting chased after about 3 mins. That was yesterday evening and found yesterday night they were swimming near each other not fighting.

Since this morning i see that they don’t pick on each other at all but the new male stays near the glass near the top of the water (insecure) swimming up the glass and down again sticking to it unlike the old male that swims all around the tank. Although occasionally he swims around the tank a bit he looks pretty normal. Almost no aggression between them but they don’t acknowledge eachother’s existence either. They swim near each-other sometimes but don’t really follow each-other sometimes. Usually my old pairings would try to interact with eachother when close sometimes aggression. Im worried about the swimming pattern since most fish swim like this when they are dying. I do know clownfishes swim weirdly and he just sticks to the glass. The new male is chasing pellets but only eating 1 or 2.

i haven’t seen any submission from any of them (shaking). The old clown is trying to dominate the new clown but the old one haven't submitted yet as the old clown is scaring the old one but not really biting, sticking his body near the nee clown. I do see that the new clown is nervous/scared though as he is still against the glass and not trying to fight back.

Is the glass surfing normal and is the old clown too much on the new one? I can move him to a friends tank if this doesn’t work out or move him to a quarantine tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new clown isnt dead yet and the old isn't chasing it constantly, biting, etc then you may get lucky and have them pair up and live that Happy Ever After fairytale in your tank. Keep an eye out and be ready to net whichever one you can catch if they decide the tank isn't big enough for the two of them.

Right now it seems like you have a chance but you will see the old pairing behaviors if they decide to be pals.

Good luck!

silent film lol GIF by Charlie Chaplin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new clown isnt dead yet and the old isn't chasing it constantly, biting, etc then you may get lucky and have them pair up and live that Happy Ever After fairytale in your tank. Keep an eye out and be ready to net whichever one you can catch if they decide the tank isn't big enough for the two of them.

Right now it seems like you have a chance but you will see the old pairing behaviors if they decide to be pals.

Good luck!

silent film lol GIF by Charlie Chaplin
thanks a miracle happened and they started to spend more time together and follow each other. i haven't seen the shaking they usually do but im guessing the new male will stay as male. the new male still does the weird wall hosting? im not sure he moves up and down the wall sticking to it, i have never my clowns do this before.

Upvote 0

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first fish in the RS 200XL. It was a juvenile Cinnamon Clown. He did the same wall hosting for about 3 weeks and only left the right corner wall for food. It was not until I purchased a juvenile Hippo Tang who followed the Clownfish around and moved throughout the tank which seemed to calm the clownfish fears that the clownfish stopped the wired behavior

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a miracle happened and they started to spend more time together and follow each other. i haven't seen the shaking they usually do but im guessing the new male will stay as male. the new male still does the weird wall hosting? im not sure he moves up and down the wall sticking to it, i have never my clowns do this before.
When I opened my computer this morning Microsoft reminded me this is "Pride Month." I can't say who will be the daddy but if they have stopped fighting over the issue then June will be a good month for all!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first fish in the RS 200XL. It was a juvenile Cinnamon Clown. He did the same wall hosting for about 3 weeks and only left the right corner wall for food. It was not until I purchased a juvenile Hippo Tang who followed the Clownfish around and moved throughout the tank which seemed to calm the clownfish fears that the clownfish stopped the wired behavior
hoping mine will do that once I stock the tank as seeing them hosting the overflow/glass wouldn't look the best
When I opened my computer this morning Microsoft reminded me this is "Pride Month." I can't say who will be the daddy but if they have stopped fighting over the issue then June will be a good month for all!
They now go places together but the new clown is a bit scared of me while the old male will eat out of my fingers. I was very relieved the fighting stopped now i just have to wait who will stay as the male :)

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back