Clownfish normal behavior or...?

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have these clownfish for roughly little over a month.

Past week one of them started to generate a laying down habit. I know clownfish are weird at times. However I want to make sure there is no underlying issues. He eats just fine and moves around just fine.

They were QT for 6 weeks prior.

They are fed a mix of Omnivore Frozen Cubes and Frozen Mysis shrimp

I've checked all the water parameters.

Salinity : 34ppt
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5
pH : 8.1

All other fish are active and healthy.

Only concern I had is it seems like in his upper front white stripe, it looks like it is dry almost. Hopefully video detail will be good enough.

The other clownfish does seem to harrass him at times though. Specifically when he lays on the sand.
20210606_182321.jpg

Attachments

• 20210606_173213.mp4
    45.4 MB
Last edited:

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that kind of but didn't lay down. Swam all crazy. Took me 6 clownfish and joining this forum to realize a brooklynella outbreak. Killed 6 clowns, and two pajama cardinals. Update this to emergency. Also the way the fins are losing color and the heavy breathing makes me suspicious @Jay Hemdal , @vetteguy53081

Attachments

• 20201105_185800.jpg
    20201105_185800.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 32

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen mine lay down. I'm a small sample size tho.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have these clownfish for roughly little over a month.

Past week one of them started to generate a laying down habit. I know clownfish are weird at times. However I want to make sure there is no underlying issues. He eats just fine and moves around just fine.

They were QT for 6 weeks prior.

They are fed a mix of Omnivore Frozen Cubes and Frozen Mysis shrimp

I've checked all the water parameters.

Salinity : 34ppt
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5
pH : 8.1

All other fish are active and healthy.

Only concern I had is it seems like in his upper front white stripe, it looks like it is dry almost. Hopefully video detail will be good enough.

The other clownfish does seem to harrass him at times though. Specifically when he lays on the sand.
20210606_182321.jpg
What is the water temperature?
Both clowns are breathing a bit fast.
This laying on the bottom isn’t normal - almost like this fish is negatively buoyant.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is at 78.
Do you have any ability to treat this tank or move the clown to another tank? I’m not sure what’s going on here...but when/if additional symptoms develop, it will probably require separate treatment of one sort or another.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One or two of mine lay down at night but as Jay stated, not a normal behavior as they tend to be active, even when intimidated by a tankmate.
Labored breathing can be temperature, ammonia, stress from being chased/bullied or even parasitical. Is fish eating and what does its feces look like?
These answers will help Jay use his assessment skills to help you

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've always been somewhat stringy. I use Salifert tests and shows 0 ammonia. It started same time the chasing started. I have no problem seperate QTing all the fish in their own tank if I have too. I got enough 5 gallon tanks and stuff laying around, just need cleaned up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just slight update, going to set up 2 QT to put each clownfish in and wait for treatment advide. From reading I may get some parasite treatments tomorrow for them and do a 72 day QT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just slight update, going to set up 2 QT to put each clownfish in and wait for treatment advide. From reading I may get some parasite treatments tomorrow for them and do a 72 day QT.
I worry when people start up a quarantine in a brand new tank with no biofilter - you'll need to add some bacteria, either through mature media from another tank, or from bacteria in a bottle.

Due to the rapid breathing symptom, I'd say you should start copper right away. Here is a link to my current quarantine protocol.

I am a bit concerned in that these fish were already quarantined. Could they have been mixed in with other fish or even invertebrates that weren't quarantined after that point? Do you know the Q process they went through?

Jay

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had 1 QT tank set up, and I still had an extra bottle of Dr Tims for a 2nd QT.

From what my LFS tells me is when they receive their shipment, they place them in QT. Not sure the numbers per tank, However they QT for 6 weeks.

One odd update,

I put him last night in his own tank, cycled and all. His color is back, no heavy breathing, and no more laying down.

I'll be keeping an eye on him, and my DT as well.

I have a current QT setup it's a 10g tank that I maintain weekly just like my DT. I checked water parameters in it before I set him in and matched closely to mine minus 2 nitrates. I will note I have a cleanup crew in there as well to maintain my false feeding to keep bacteria in it.

I wanted to make 2 more QT setups for mainly hospital purposes since I can't copper dose with a CuC crew.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had 1 QT tank set up, and I still had an extra bottle of Dr Tims for a 2nd QT.

From what my LFS tells me is when they receive their shipment, they place them in QT. Not sure the numbers per tank, However they QT for 6 weeks.

One odd update,

I put him last night in his own tank, cycled and all. His color is back, no heavy breathing, and no more laying down.

I'll be keeping an eye on him, and my DT as well.

I have a current QT setup it's a 10g tank that I maintain weekly just like my DT. I checked water parameters in it before I set him in and matched closely to mine minus 2 nitrates. I will note I have a cleanup crew in there as well to maintain my false feeding to keep bacteria in it.

I wanted to make 2 more QT setups for mainly hospital purposes since I can't copper dose with a CuC crew.
Well, when you move a fish and the issue improves, that implies something it didn’t like in the first tank - either water quality or tank mate issues. I would observe it for a relapse now, before treating with anything.
Jay

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have a strong assumption it is the other clownfish at this point harrassing him. I'll be keeping him out for awhile and update periodically.

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be odd... both my clowns have started hosting random things for a few days then move on to the next. Yesterday they started hosting a Astrea Snail shell. Before that a Zoa patch/frag. Just wish they would stick to the Pink Torch or the Frogspawn. In your case definitely sounds like your DT has something they don’t like at all. How much aeration does your water get? Silly question for salt I know but most ppl over look it. I run a bubbler in mine at night. It’s not in the DT since that looks ugly it’s in the back chamber of an AIO system. Your assumption is more than likely correct. I have owned dozens of clowns over the years. Yours is most likely being bullied to death. Chances are they were the same size when you bought them? If so one is being picked on to turn male. They don’t like switching genders easily. That would be my guess not sickness or parasites.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of flow with constant waves being made. I also alternate throughout the day the intensity and frequency. All other fish seem to be perfectly fine. Since I have split them he has been having no problem at all. Still being lively swimming around so. I'm starting to think may be a case of stress from the other clown. Only time will tell. He is the slight smaller of the 2 however.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've kept this little guy seperate for little bit now. Normal clowny behavior. Also the DT is acting normal as par.

I guess my question is, should I do the 72 day QT with him? Or should I put him back in the DT.

Or lastly should I replace him with another?

At this point I'm thinking he was overstressed by the other clownfish.

Any thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've kept this little guy seperate for little bit now. Normal clowny behavior. Also the DT is acting normal as par.

I guess my question is, should I do the 72 day QT with him? Or should I put him back in the DT.

Or lastly should I replace him with another?

At this point I'm thinking he was overstressed by the other clownfish.

Any thoughts?
Sorry, I may have lost track - the two clowns were together, so no need to quarantine the one, either quarantine them both together, or take the risk and skip it. The latter is just as risky as quarantining the one clown.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back