Clownfish not pairing?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ocellaris that got along well in the beginning. Now, about 3 months later, the female is being much more aggressive to the male, nipping at him if he leaves the corner. There is an anemone, but they’re not hosting (they’ve recently been added to the fallow reef from quarantine tank.) Should I remove her for a while and try adding her back in, or is this normal? The male is healthy, aside from a slightly tattered pectoral fin. They’re fed twice a day and I make sure they both get plenty of food.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When pairing, the female may become aggressive towards the male. That’s normal and all three pairs of clowns that I had did it, ripping up the fins of the male. How big are both of them and what’s the tank size?

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the few pics I could get of them in the same frame- from a couple weeks ago in the QT. The male is a bit in the background, but you can see the size difference. I got them both young, but the snowstorm was naturally larger and more dominant. They’re now in a 16g reef and are the only fish

Attachments

• 0897042C-4B54-4DE4-91DF-2F2566D48667.png
    0897042C-4B54-4DE4-91DF-2F2566D48667.png
    631.4 KB · Views: 42

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Clownfish are bullies. Remember that. They dont really like fish, especially clownfish, that look different from them. Thats why its best to try and pair them with clowns of the same patterns. You have a snowstorm (which is really nice btw i want one) and a black snowflake (i think).
2. Its totally normal for clowns to fight. Also with the anemone thing, some like it some dont: i had a BTA and it was right in front of their little cave, but they rarely touched it. My clowns are afraid of the corals and inverts haha.
Just dont worry about it too much, but if the female actually starts hurting the male to the point he's having trouble swimming, you could try to put the female in a breeder box for a bit.(a few days)

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Clownfish are bullies. Remember that. They dont really like fish, especially clownfish, that look different from them. Thats why its best to try and pair them with clowns of the same patterns. You have a snowstorm (which is really nice btw i want one) and a black snowflake (i think).
2. Its totally normal for clowns to fight. Also with the anemone thing, some like it some dont: i had a BTA and it was right in front of their little cave, but they rarely touched it. My clowns are afraid of the corals and inverts haha.
Just dont worry about it too much, but if the female actually starts hurting the male to the point he's having trouble swimming, you could try to put the female in a breeder box for a bit.(a few days)
Thank you! Yeah I really love her colors and originally hoped they would breed; but at this point I have my doubts :/ I guess I’ll just sit back and monitor them. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something I could do to help!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back