Clownfish Pairing

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8CAF8067-F7B4-4829-9FD3-EB12F15FB066.jpeg

I have these two clownfish who have been in the same tank for about a month and at first their pairing habits weren’t worrisome but now it’s getting a little worrying. My WW clown runs the tank while my vivid stays hidden in a crevasse under a rock until the lights turn out and comes out to swim. The vivid eats perfectly fine and does swimming at night but gets really stressed out and breathes fast when the wyoming starts chasing. The WW will chase the vivid and smack his tail but then starts twitching/having a seizure. The vivid never chases or slaps tails or twitches but will bite him pretty hard when he gets too aggressive. I don’t want them to fight to the death or get a disease from stress. Any suggestions on what to do?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish have difficult pairs because the mixed breed got all the signal scrambled. Just like speaking in different languages they don’t completely understand each other so they don’t get submissive signals from the weaker fish.
just keep an eye on it and separate the. If it get too much for the little guy. They will eventually have the problem solve.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish have difficult pairs because the mixed breed got all the signal scrambled. Just like speaking in different languages they don’t completely understand each other so they don’t get submissive signals from the weaker fish.
just keep an eye on it and separate the. If it get too much for the little guy. They will eventually have the problem solve.
So was it probably a bad idea to mix them? or will they pair eventually?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing of those two shouldn’t be much more difficult then and of the same color variations. What I see if that they look to be about the same size and that can cause issues because both of them either want to be female or already are female.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing of those two shouldn’t be much more difficult then and of the same color variations. What I see if that they look to be about the same size and that can cause issues because both of them either want to be female or already are female.
Yeah they are about the same size, how long do you think it will take?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really tell until they stop fighting
My clowns paired(black snowflake and gladiator) in under a week

fowler279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same issue with a Frostbite and a Davinci. What I ended up doing was putting the Frostbite (more aggressive) into an acclimation box for 24 hours. After that I let him out. He started being aggressive again about 24 hours later so I put him back in for another 48 hours. Each time the Davinci stayed right with the frostbite. Since then they have been fine. Little bit of playing and chasing around but no biting and both have been great since then.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back