Clownfish starving to death

Hapenyo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I have two clownfish i bought a month ago. The larger female always takes the pellets i drop in while the smaller male gets nothing. I thought i would seperate then to feed them but then my make clownfish is so deprived if food he doesnt come out of his hidey hole(which is a small gap between the rock and the back and left side of the tank). I try to drop food down there but it gets sucked into the vent which is right there. How do i feed him?

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you hold food on some tongs for him? I feed my shrimp this way. Piece of mysis pinched on some long feeding tongs works well. Can you shut water flow off so food isn't going down the vent? Maybe try to catch him or the female and put one or the other into quarantine for a little while?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try offering frozen food, such as mysis shrimp. Keep flow on while feeding.

The male must be getting something, because after a month the male, at the very least would be noticeably skinny.

OP
OP
H

Hapenyo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The male must be getting something, because after a month the male, at the very least would be noticeably skinny.

He has become skinnier and has lost a lot of colour.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this would be my strategy too. a cube of mysis that is thawed before it is added to the tank creates a flurry of pieces that will be almost impossible for the dominant fish to manage.
If the system only contains 2 fish a whole cube is too much food so divide it up before thawing it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back