Clownfish swollen gills

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

One of my clowns in my new tank seems to have some swollen gills. It's seemingly not eating. It's mouth is opening and closing most of the time, unlike the other clown. None of the other fish, including the other clown are exhibiting any symptoms of irritation.

I did fully test the tank before I added fish at 0 ammonia/nitrite. That was probably about a month ago and the clowns have probably been in the tank 3 weeks or so. Tested again today, ammonia and nitrate still at 0.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for some experts read this and answer as many questions as possible.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more parameters:

Nitrate: 5ppm
Phosphate: 0ppm
Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.026

Not sure of pH or alk, ect. Haven't tested these as it's a new tank and I have no corals. I can test these if deemed relevant.

Filtration comprised of filter socks and skimmer. Skimmer is pulling a good amount of waste.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to attach tank picture.
PXL_20230817_184157307.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m not home and can’t see video
Hello all,

One of my clowns in my new tank seems to have some swollen gills. It's seemingly not eating. It's mouth is opening and closing most of the time, unlike the other clown. None of the other fish, including the other clown are exhibiting any symptoms of irritation.

I did fully test the tank before I added fish at 0 ammonia/nitrite. That was probably about a month ago and the clowns have probably been in the tank 3 weeks or so. Tested again today, ammonia and nitrate still at 0.

- can you post a couple still pics under white intensity?
can you post a couple still pics under white intensity?
May be gill flukes or other irritant. Pics should be helpful

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the issue is here, but that clown does look really thin compared to the other one.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree that the fish is so thin it makes the gills look large. Is fish eating, and what are you feeding it?
Any unusual color or texture feces?

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm not doing a good job of capturing it in these pictures. It's gills are looking swollen. When I look at it from behind it I can see into the opening of the gills. It's head looks wider because of this. The mouth is continuously opening and closing. I can see how being thin can make the head look bigger. Maybe it's that.

I'm feeding mostly homemade frozen food which is about a 50/50 mix of spirulina mysis and raw salmon.

I also feed TDO, but less often. I'm feeding twice a day, so there's no scarcity of food.

I just caught my flame hawkfish hit the clown, but that's the first time I've seen that happen. The hawkfish has only been in the tank a week, so I don't suspect that he's been bullied into this state.

I have not seen the feces of the clown, but I'll keep an eye out. I just noticed the odd behavior today. I have seen occasional string feces from the fox face. But it popped yesterday and looked normal.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things just went from bad to worse. I just noticed him being blown around the tank my the power heads. I captured him and put him in an acclimation box. He's laying on his side and gasping. I have no clue what happened to him though. I suspect he may be too far gone.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It already died. I've never seen a fish deteriorate that fast. It was just swimming in the videos I took a few hours ago. I'm sure it got skinnier over many days, but I didn't notice until today.

I suppose it's probably hard to tell what happened. Do you guys have any suspicions? Just wondering if I should be on the lookout for any symptoms on my other fish. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

Thank you both for your help.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It already died. I've never seen a fish deteriorate that fast. It was just swimming in the videos I took a few hours ago. I'm sure it got skinnier over many days, but I didn't notice until today.

I suppose it's probably hard to tell what happened. Do you guys have any suspicions? Just wondering if I should be on the lookout for any symptoms on my other fish. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

Thank you both for your help.
Sorry to hear. Was very thin, likely weak and some fin shredding in pic

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back