Clownfish was missing his tail

Nacole117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night i went to bed and all the fish were fine. This morning i woke up and my yellow tailed chroma was dead my banggai cardinal was dead and one of my clown fish was missing his tail and died just a few minutes ago. My levels are
Nirate 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.8 or 8
And the saltinity is 1.026
Any feedback would be much appreciated

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can u provide list of tank inhabitants, including invertebrates? Also what is tank age.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there more fish in the display? If so, I would post this in tank emergency.

OP
OP
N

Nacole117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we have well had. 2 clownfish, yellow tang, toby puffer, green chroma, dragon goby, pajama fish, Melanurus Fairy Wrasse, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, turbo snail and i think 5 hermit crabs. And then the banggai cardinal and yellow tail chroma. Tank age is around 2 and a half months

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we have well had. 2 clownfish, yellow tang, toby puffer, green chroma, dragon goby, pajama fish, Melanurus Fairy Wrasse, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, turbo snail and i think 5 hermit crabs. And then the banggai cardinal and yellow tail chroma. Tank age is around 2 and a half months
that is quite a lot of fish/livestock for a young tank, which may not have sufficient bioload to handle the livestock load. What size is the tank?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if a #mod can move this to tank emergency.

OP
OP
N

Nacole117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon. And we tell the people at the store what size tank we have and how many fish and they all said it would be fine because most of the ones we have in there are less than an inch so im guessing they are babies? Or?

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is quite a lot of fish/livestock for a young tank, which may not have sufficient bioload to handle the livestock load. What size is the tank?
I'm going to agree with @Super Fly on this one. To much to soon. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint!
Also, do as much research as you can about your tank, fish, parameters, etc.. you will weed out the fish stores that just want to push product out the door. Unfortunately, they do exist.
and of course..... what are your parameter #'s

OP
OP
N

Nacole117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using the Api test kit and we got it when we got the tank. And we have a refractometer. Makes me kind of mad that they would just push stuff out the door knowing itll probably die

OP
OP
N

Nacole117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything that wouldve ate the clown fishes tail. That is stumping me. I thought everything we had was friendly

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with live rock or dry rock? Do you hear any clicking noises coming from the tank? Did the other dead fish show signs of being attacked by something?

Sounds like something attacked the clown. I would guess maybe a mantis shrimp or large crab. But that is really only a guess.

A pic of the clown may help here.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish stocking was a bit aggressive, but not too over the top. Taking a year to stock 10 mostly small fish in a 55 gallon would be very conservative.

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish stocking was a bit aggressive, but not too over the top. Taking a year to stock 10 mostly small fish in a 55 gallon would be very conservative.

Then you run the risk of them all dying... The most successful reefs I've seen are the conservative/approach ones. 10 fish in 2.5 months indicates there wasn't a proper cycle... or there was and then 2 fish were added every week!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit dramatic. We are talking 10 mostly small fish, aside from the tang, in a 55 gallon.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the tank was cycled, adding a clown pair and a chromis or two isnt going to stress a 55 gallon system. And if that same system was fine after a few days, then it was still fine after a week or two. Adding a couple more fish at that point would also be fine. And so on.

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using the Api test kit and we got it when we got the tank. And we have a refractometer. Makes me kind of mad that they would just push stuff out the door knowing itll probably die
I would upgrade your test kits. You will end up getting them in the long run the more you get into the hobby.
I could guess that the Buffer might have seen the clown showing signs of distress and gone in for the kill. Buffers have a good bit to them. Do you have pictures?

OP
OP
N

Nacole117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the picture of the clown fish. The other 2 didnt have any marks or anything on them

20200305_150321.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

• A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back