Clownfish with snowflake eels?

Max H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 semi aggressive black storm clownfish and I was wondering if I could add a snowflake eel or if the clownfish will be dinner. Would it be ok to have an eel with them?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer if in a large enough tank and the snowflake is tank raised from an itty bitty, maybe. There are variables, if these are your prize clowns it may not be worth the risk. Snowflakes usually won't go out of their way to wrestle down a fish, but will enjoy one if it presents itself. Clowns are not push overs but they are not that elusive, if they fit in the mouth, maybe. In a small tank, more of a risk. Over time the snowflake will be large enough to enjoy a clown dinner, but if tank raised, they just may not have the instinct.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed your snowflake eel every other day krill and silver sides and you’ll be fine I have two clowns and a snowflake eel in my tank and they are fine as of right now

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 semi aggressive black storm clownfish and I was wondering if I could add a snowflake eel or if the clownfish will be dinner. Would it be ok to have an eel with them?
Not worth it. My brothers snowflake managed to down literaly every fish in his tank even his dwarf fuzzy lion.

Nebunu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake at max size, with it 2 puffers, 2 clowns and also some lost mollys. I feed the snowflake almost every day with shrimp, big sizes. No problem at all with the small fish. In the end if the monster is well fedd, in my opinion you should have no problems.

predawin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake at max size, with it 2 puffers, 2 clowns and also some lost mollys. I feed the snowflake almost every day with shrimp, big sizes. No problem at all with the small fish. In the end if the monster is well fedd, in my opinion you should have no problems.
You got any good pictures of the snowflake. I'd like to see how big it is at full size.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake was good with fish and most inverts, granted it was the size of a #2 pencil when I got it as a hitchhiker at the LFS I worked for. I've heard it go both ways, good and bad. I'd say the smaller the eel and the bigger the clowns when you start is probably a big help but I am just spit balling there.

Which is more important for you to have? What size tank, what's the aquascape look like? Are you considering working some eel tubes into your rock work?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re gonna lose fish to it. Period. My brothers took down a panther grouper about the size of bluegill. And it wasn’t a particularly huge eel. Also ate his dwarf fuzzy lion fish.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my biggest snowflake was about 30 inches. he was super docile for 5-7 years then started killing fish.
so he went in the predator tank and hes a wuss in there.

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two snowflakes about 16” long and they leave my three clowns alone. I have a carpet anemone for the clowns and every time one of the eels touch the carpet anemone they jolt back like they touched a hot stove. I got the clownfish before the eels. I also tried introducing a smaller clownfish and the eel ate it. Make sure your clowns can’t fit in your eels mouth, have a safe spot to sleep at night and the eel is fed

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The year was 2000. My very first saltwater aquarium, I was in college in Kzoo, Mi, it was a 40 breeder with a Picasso Trigger, a pair of True Perc Clowns, and Niel the snowflake eel. All lived together pretty well abeit the Clowns seemed terrified and stayed in the upper portion of the tank corner. Niel went carpet surfing about 2 years in and our house cat brought his lifeless body to me early one morning. He was still wet but didn't make it, im convinced the cat took him out. The clowns seemed to eventually ease back into mid tank and not so teriffied after that.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@fishguy242 - he has a snowflake eel. He calls it the "nope rope" ate a lot of his clowns.

I won't put any eel in a tank with clowns, maybe a ribbon eel. The fact ribbon eels suffer from cyanide poisoning stops me from getting another.
Good luck to you if you get a snow flake.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back